* Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-07-25 20:02 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2018-07-25 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, sre, nekit1000,
	mpartap, merlijn

Hi!

I have two big problems with droid 4. #1 is that it lost 2 SMS.. and I
have no idea why. Second is power consumption -- it seems to be rather
high even before modem (and thus USB) is enabled.

Interestingly, CyanogenMod and Jolla seem to have higher power
consumption than stock operating system.

(My Linux can survive for 10 hours, stock system could survive for 4
days if I'm not mistaken).

I thought I would experiment with suspend to RAM.. and it indeed
seemed to suspend ok, but I could not wake it up. Do I need to set up
wakeup with button somehow? Is suspend to RAM required for good power
consumption?

Best regards,								Pavel

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-07-25 20:33 ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2018-07-25 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
	Tony Lindgren, Sebastian Reichel, nekit1000, mpartap,
	Merlijn Wajer

Hi Pavel

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have two big problems with droid 4. #1 is that it lost 2 SMS.. and I
> have no idea why. Second is power consumption -- it seems to be rather

Depend how do you set the SMS buffering using CNMI if I remember. Modem
has 1024bytes of memory most of the time that can buffer more then 1 sms.
Modem rise a irq when they receive a call or sms, or you an use the serial but
omap family can loose the first char coming from the serial so you can lost the
sms because parsing fail

> high even before modem (and thus USB) is enabled.
>
> Interestingly, CyanogenMod and Jolla seem to have higher power
> consumption than stock operating system.
>
> (My Linux can survive for 10 hours, stock system could survive for 4
> days if I'm not mistaken).
>
> I thought I would experiment with suspend to RAM.. and it indeed
> seemed to suspend ok, but I could not wake it up. Do I need to set up
> wakeup with button somehow? Is suspend to RAM required for good power
> consumption?

Sorry but pm subsystem has debug mode that you can test in a easy way.
You can even wakeup by any rtc alarm easily.

Michael

--
| Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
| COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-07-25 21:28   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2018-07-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
	Tony Lindgren, Sebastian Reichel, nekit1000, mpartap,
	Merlijn Wajer

HI!

> > I have two big problems with droid 4. #1 is that it lost 2 SMS.. and I
> > have no idea why. Second is power consumption -- it seems to be rather
>
> Depend how do you set the SMS buffering using CNMI if I remember. Modem
> has 1024bytes of memory most of the time that can buffer more then 1 sms.
> Modem rise a irq when they receive a call or sms, or you an use the serial but
> omap family can loose the first char coming from the serial so you can lost the
> sms because parsing fail

I am using USB connection to the modem. And yes, I'm using rather
strange CNMI settings (but other did not work).

> > high even before modem (and thus USB) is enabled.
> >
> > Interestingly, CyanogenMod and Jolla seem to have higher power
> > consumption than stock operating system.
> >
> > (My Linux can survive for 10 hours, stock system could survive for 4
> > days if I'm not mistaken).
> >
> > I thought I would experiment with suspend to RAM.. and it indeed
> > seemed to suspend ok, but I could not wake it up. Do I need to set up
> > wakeup with button somehow? Is suspend to RAM required for good power
> > consumption?
>
> Sorry but pm subsystem has debug mode that you can test in a easy way.
> You can even wakeup by any rtc alarm easily.

Yes, that is how it works on PC (but there power button works,
too). Is it expected to work on Droid in v4.18?

Thanks,
									Pavel

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-07-27 11:32     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2018-07-27 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
	Tony Lindgren, Sebastian Reichel, nekit1000, mpartap,
	Merlijn Wajer

Hi!
> > > high even before modem (and thus USB) is enabled.
> > >
> > > Interestingly, CyanogenMod and Jolla seem to have higher power
> > > consumption than stock operating system.
> > >
> > > (My Linux can survive for 10 hours, stock system could survive for 4
> > > days if I'm not mistaken).
> > >
> > > I thought I would experiment with suspend to RAM.. and it indeed
> > > seemed to suspend ok, but I could not wake it up. Do I need to set up
> > > wakeup with button somehow? Is suspend to RAM required for good power
> > > consumption?
> >
> > Sorry but pm subsystem has debug mode that you can test in a easy way.
> > You can even wakeup by any rtc alarm easily.
>
> Yes, that is how it works on PC (but there power button works,
> too). Is it expected to work on Droid in v4.18?

I tried setting up wakeup using RTC, but no, it does not seem to work:

root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# rtcwake -m no -s 5
rtcwake: wakeup using /dev/rtc0 at Fri Jul 27 11:28:44 2018
root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# echo mem > /sys/power/state

									Pavel

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-08-08  9:05       ` Tony Lindgren
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2018-08-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel,
	Linux OMAP Mailing List, Sebastian Reichel, nekit1000, mpartap,
	Merlijn Wajer

* Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [180727 11:35]:
> Hi!

> > > Sorry but pm subsystem has debug mode that you can test in a easy way.
> > > You can even wakeup by any rtc alarm easily.
> >
> > Yes, that is how it works on PC (but there power button works,
> > too). Is it expected to work on Droid in v4.18?
>
> I tried setting up wakeup using RTC, but no, it does not seem to work:
>
> root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# rtcwake -m no -s 5
> rtcwake: wakeup using /dev/rtc0 at Fri Jul 27 11:28:44 2018
> root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# echo mem > /sys/power/state

Works for me here as tested on next-20180808, maybe you don't have
CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CPCAP? Maybe you are trying to use CONFIG_RTC_DRV_OMAP?

Then for deeper idle modes, you need to also idle UARTs, and unbind or
unload USB related modules. You should get to something like 160mW
power consumption with mdm6600 enabled and SoC suspended that way.

Then again system running idle is about the same with timers and
interrupts working so I'd just idle UARTs and unload USB modules :)

My UART idle script below for reference.

Regards,

Tony

8< ----------------
#!/bin/bash

# Configure PM runtime autosuspend
uarts=$(find /sys/bus/platform/devices/4*.serial/power/ -type d)
for uart in $uarts; do
        echo -n 3000 > $uart/autosuspend_delay_ms
        echo -n enabled > $uart/wakeup
        echo -n auto > $uart/control
done

# Configure wake-up from suspend
uarts=$(find /sys/class/tty/tty[SO]*/power/ -type d 2>/dev/null)
for uart in $uarts; do
        echo -n enabled > $uart/wakeup
done

echo -n 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/pm_debug/enable_off_mode

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-08-08 21:32         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2018-08-08 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel,

On Wed 2018-08-08 02:05:12, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [180727 11:35]:
> > Hi!

> > > Yes, that is how it works on PC (but there power button works,
> > > too). Is it expected to work on Droid in v4.18?
> >
> > I tried setting up wakeup using RTC, but no, it does not seem to work:
> >
> > root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# rtcwake -m no -s 5
> > rtcwake: wakeup using /dev/rtc0 at Fri Jul 27 11:28:44 2018
> > root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# echo mem > /sys/power/state
>
> Works for me here as tested on next-20180808, maybe you don't have
> CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CPCAP? Maybe you are trying to use
>CONFIG_RTC_DRV_OMAP?

I tried with mainline... there will be no graphics in next, right? And
yes, I had CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CPCAP and not CONFIG_RTC_DRV_OMAP.

> Then for deeper idle modes, you need to also idle UARTs, and unbind or
> unload USB related modules. You should get to something like 160mW
> power consumption with mdm6600 enabled and SoC suspended that way.

That's slightly interesting. echo mem > /sys/power/state should do all
the work, right? Disable UARTs etc. Plus, is 160mW still a bit high?

> Then again system running idle is about the same with timers and
> interrupts working so I'd just idle UARTs and unload USB modules :)
>
> My UART idle script below for reference.

Thanks, let me try...

								Pavel

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-08-09  8:22           ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2018-08-09  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel,

* Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [180808 21:35]:
> On Wed 2018-08-08 02:05:12, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > Then for deeper idle modes, you need to also idle UARTs, and unbind or
> > unload USB related modules. You should get to something like 160mW
> > power consumption with mdm6600 enabled and SoC suspended that way.
>
> That's slightly interesting. echo mem > /sys/power/state should do all
> the work, right? Disable UARTs etc. Plus, is 160mW still a bit high?

Yes suspend will do it, you still need to configure wake-up events
though at least for the UARTs. I think I got enabled mdm6600 to low-power
state after connecting over UART ts27010 and then suspending OHCI:

        ohci=$(find /sys/bus/platform/devices -name \*.ohci)
        devices=$(find ${ohci}/ -type d -name control)
        for device in ${devices}; do
                echo -n "auto" > ${device}/level
                echo -n "control" > ${device}/level
        done

        echo "usb-phy@1" > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/phy-mapphone-mdm6600/unbind

For power consumption, 160mW is high yeah. We currently cannot hit core
retention on omap4 until some GPIO issues are fixed. I've been trying to
think for a good fix for that, but need to debug it more when I get a chance.

From few months ago, I recall I got droid4 to run at around 65mW idle
with WLAN connected and modem off with my test hacks. With modem on
and USB suspended I think I got to around 100mW.

Then I recall measuring droid4 with stock android in flight mode
measuring at around 15 - 30mW. But that requires off mode to work on
omap4, maybe we'll get to that too at some point after core retention.

Regards,

Tony

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-08-10 10:43         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2018-08-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel,
	Linux OMAP Mailing List, Sebastian Reichel, nekit1000, mpartap,
	Merlijn Wajer

On Wed 2018-08-08 02:05:12, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [180727 11:35]:
> > Hi!

> > > Yes, that is how it works on PC (but there power button works,
> > > too). Is it expected to work on Droid in v4.18?
> >
> > I tried setting up wakeup using RTC, but no, it does not seem to work:
> >
> > root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# rtcwake -m no -s 5
> > rtcwake: wakeup using /dev/rtc0 at Fri Jul 27 11:28:44 2018
> > root@devuan:/my/tui/d4# echo mem > /sys/power/state
>
> Works for me here as tested on next-20180808, maybe you don't have
> CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CPCAP? Maybe you are trying to use
CONFIG_RTC_DRV_OMAP?

I have right config, and it works for me on next-20180808. Power
button wakes it up, as expected, and even usbnet connections survive,
which is good.

Unfortunately, next-20180808 has no video support, which may also be
reason why it works. I guess I'll need to dust off serial cable and
look for logs...
									Pavel

* Re: Droid 4: suspend to RAM?
@ 2018-08-10 11:03         ` Pavel Machek