Hi! > > You may want to learn more about device tree and/or talk to the device > > tree maintainers. This is an old article. https://lwn.net/Articles/561462/ > > The article title is "Device trees as ABI". A device tree is defined > in the "*.dts" file that is then compiled to a dtb blob, which > constitutes the ABI. And this ABI should be kept backwards compatible. > > What is discussed here is a documentation of bindings, i.e. according > to ePAPR: "requirements for how specific types and classes of devices > are represented in the device tree". > > >From the bindings documented in the > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/ti-lmu.txt only > ti,lm3532-backlight is used in the mainline dts file > (arch/arm/boot/dts/omap4-droid4-xt894.dts). > > Having the above it seems that there is no risk of breaking any > users. DTBs and bindings are supposed to be portable between operating systems. You are right there are no _mainline_ _Linux_ users. > > NAK on this patch. I see that this binding has problems, but > > introducing different binding for subset of devices is _not_ a fix. > > > >>> What about the multi function devices? They should have same binding. > >> > >> The MFD devices defined are not in contention here only the SFD. > > > > I'd like to see common solutions for SFD and MFD, as the hardware is > > similar, and that includes the code. Having code that is easier to > > maintain is important, and having many drivers are harder to maintain > > than one driver. > > > > Milo's code looks better than yours in that regard. I disagree about > > Milo's code being "nightmare" to modify, and care about "easy to > > maintain" more than "binary size". > > Easy to maintain will be a dedicated LED class driver. You mean, 3 dedicated LED class drivers and 3 MFD drivers with LED parts? We'll need complex driver anyway, and I'd really like to have just one. Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html