Hi! > >> explain to me again why this is useful? > > > > The official binding for providing the BD_ADDR through the device tree > > is the property 'local-bd-address'. device_get_bd_address() provides a > > common API to retrieve the BD_ADDR instead of requiring BT drivers to > > use the lower level fwnode_property_read_u8_array(). It also avoids > > repeating the check for an all zeroes BD_ADDR in multiple drivers. > > > >> I am failing to see the benefit if this is not part of the property.h API. > > > > My understanding is that the intention of property.h it to provide an > > API for common property types used by drivers from different > > subsystems, hence the implementation 'lives' in drivers/base. > > Obtaining the BD_ADDR is clearly limited to the Bluetooth subsystem, > > and drivers/base doesn't seem to be the right place for it. It's true, > > device_get_mac_address() lives in the common property code, but that > > doesn't necessarily mean it really should be there and we should do > > the same. I agree with Sakari that the the approach taken by V4L2 > > (drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-fwnode.c) seems more appropriate. > > > > That said I wouldn't raise opposition if the maintainers of > > drivers/base agreed to add device_get_mac_address() there, however so > > far several recent authors of property.[ch] have raised objections. > > so if this is not in drivers/base/ then what is the point in making each driver do this? If it is a common property, then it can be well handled in the Bluetooth core when setting up the hardware. > > This whole BD_ADDR via DT is stupid anyway. Just so that is clear > up-front. It has been a total hack and fully relies on boot > loaders doing too much magic and then using DT to hide this magic. Can you wrap lines at around 72 characters in the emails? We do ethernet addresses via DT. I don't know if doing that in bootloader is a hack or not, but if bootloader is already doing that for ethernet, bluettoth address in DT kind of makes sense. Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html