Hi Grygorii, Kishon, On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 07:24:19PM -0600, Grygorii Strashko wrote: > Thank you for your review. > I've not added "Tested-by"/"Acked-by" tags due to code changes in v3. > > As was discussed in [1] I'm posting series which introduces rework of > phy_set_mode to accept phy mode and submode. I've dropped TI specific patches as > this change is pretty big by itself. > > Patch 1 is cumulative change which refactors PHY framework code to > support dual level PHYs mode configuration - PHY mode and PHY submode. It > extends .set_mode() callback to support additional parameter "int submode" > and converts all corresponding PHY drivers to support new .set_mode() > callback declaration. > The new extended PHY API > int phy_set_mode_ext(struct phy *phy, enum phy_mode mode, int submode) > is introduced to support dual level PHYs mode configuration and existing > phy_set_mode() API is converted to macros, so PHY framework consumers do > not need to be changed (~21 matches). > > Patches 2-4: Add new PHY's mode to be used by Ethernet PHY interface drivers or > multipurpose PHYs like serdes and convert ocelot-serdes and mvebu-cp110-comphy > PHY drivers to use recently introduced PHY_MODE_ETHERNET and phy_set_mode_ext(). > > Patch 5 - removes unused, ethernet specific phy modes from enum phy_mode. > > Testing: > - series tested on TI am335x/am437x/am5(dra7) paltforms. > - other driver build tested. I realise I'm a bit late to the party, but while working on the D-PHY support, I noticed a few things that could be improved. I guess the main issue is that the sub-mode is completely opaque to the generic phy framework now. This might not be a big issue, and I assume that it has been done that way because the net framework already has a define for the submode it wants. However, this creates a bunch of drawbacks at the phy framework level: - phy_set_mode will now pass a submode of 0, all the time. This means that the behaviour is undefined for all the modes not using the submodes at the moment, and phy_interface_t seems to have the value PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_NA matching 0, but I guess this could change in the future (or the guarantee is not documented anywhere). - on a similar note, there's no documentation for which value to pass to phy_set_mode_ext when used with something else than a PHY_MODE_ETHERNET. - at the provider level, if you're supporting a phy that isn't using the submodes, you have no way to filter out or reject any subnode, since you have no idea what the "no submode" value is. I guess this can be addressed by: A) defining a generic phy framework wide unused / invalid phy submode, that wouldn't collide with the subnode values (such as -1?), and making phy_set_mode_ext use that. B) moving the phy submodes definition to the generic phy headers. This would allow to have a documented, obvious link between a mode and its subnodes, for all the actors involved (consumer, provider, and framework) without prior knowledge. C) Document what the submodes expectations are What do you think? Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Bootlin Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering https://bootlin.com