Hi! > >> Please explain your security goals. > > > > My security goals: > > > > - Encrypt and authicate hibernate snapshot image in kernel space. Userspace > > can only touch an encrypted and signed snapshot image. > > Signed? > > I’m not entirely convinced that the keyring mechanism is what you > want. ISTM that there are two goals here: > > a) Encryption: it should be as hard as can reasonably be arranged to > extract secrets from a hibernation image. > > b) Authentication part 1: it should not be possible for someone in > possession of a turned-off machine to tamper with the hibernation > image such that the image, when booted, will leak its secrets. This > should protect against attackers who don’t know the encryption key. > > c) Authentication part 2: it should be to verify, to the extent > practical, that the image came from the same machine and was really > created using hibernation. Or maybe by the same user. So... this looks like "security goals" I was asking in the first place. Thanks! Could we get something like that (with your real goals?) in the next version of the patch? > As far as I can tell, there is only one reason that any of this needs > to be in the kernel: if it’s all in user code, then we lose “lockdown” > protection against compromised user code on a secure boot system. Is > that, in fact, true? And this is what I'd really like answer to. Because... I'd really like this to be in userspace if it does not provide additional security guarantees. Thanks, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html