On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:48:13PM +0000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote: > There has been some confusion since checkpatch started warning about bool > use in structures, and people have been avoiding using it. > > Many people feel there is still a legitimate place for bool in structures, > so provide some guidance on bool usage derived from the entire thread that > spawned the checkpatch warning. Hey Jason, I very much agree that the bool expectations could be much clearer, and this patch is a nice step in that direction! Just a couple small nitpicks: > +Do not use bool if cache line layout or size of the value matters, its size > +and alignment varies based on the compiled architecture. Structures that are > +optimized for alignment and size should not use bool. +Do not use bool if cache line layout or size of the value matters, as its size ^ | Adding an "as" makes the sentence flow a bit cleaner: -------------- > +into a single bitwise 'flags' argument and 'flags' can often a more readable > +alternative if the call-sites have naked true/false constants. +into a single bitwise 'flags' argument and 'flags' can often be a more readable ^ | Missing a "be" here: ----------------------------------------- Ack from me after those two corrections. Reviewed-by: Joey Pabalinas -- Cheers, Joey Pabalinas