Hi! > >>>>I think that should work fine, which means that we can use the timer and > >>>>pattern trigger support for the blinking and breathing modes. > >>>> > >>>>That still leaves the switching between user and hw-control modes, > >>>>as discussed the hw-controlled mode could be modelled as a new "hardware" > >>>>trigger, but then we cannot choose between on/blink/breathing when > >>>>in hw-controlled mode. As Pavel mentioned, that would require some > >>>>sort of composed trigger, where we have both the hardware and > >>>>timer triggers active for example. > >>>> > >>>>I think it might be easier to just allow turning on/off the hardware > >>>>control mode through a special "hardware_control" sysfs attribute and > >>>>then use the existing timer and pattern triggers for blinking / breathing. > >>> > >>>Pattern trigger exposes pattern file by default and hw_pattern if > >>>pattern_set/get ops are provided. Writing them enables software and > >>>hardware pattern respectively. > >> > >>This is not about software vs hardware pattern. > >> > >>There are 2 *orthogonal*, separate problems/challenges with this LED controller: > >> > >>1) It has hardware blinking and breathing, as discussed this can be > >>controlled through the timer and pattern triggers, so this problem > >>is solved. > >> > >>2) It has 2 operating modes: > >> > >>a) Automatic/hardware controlled, in this mode the LED is turned > >>off or on (where on can be continues on, blinking or breathing) > >>by the hardware itself, when in this mode we / userspace is not > >>in control of the LED > >> > >>b) Manual/user controlled mode, in this mode we / userspace can > >>control of the LED. > >> > >>Currently there is no API in the ledclass to switch a LED from > >>automatic controlled to user controlled and back, This is what > >>the proposed hardware trigger was for, to switch to automatic > >>mode. A problem with this is that we still want to be able > >>to chose between continues on, blinking or breathing (when on), > >>configure the max brightness, etc. > > > >Yes, we do have the API to switch a LED from automatic (hardware > >accelerated) control to software control and back. This is pattern > >trigger, which exposes two files for setting pattern: pattern > >and hw_pattern. Writing pattern file switches the device to software > >control mode and writing hw_pattern switches it to the hardware control, > >with the possibility of defining device specific ABI syntax to enable > >particular pattern (blinking, breathing or event permanently on > >in case of this device). > > OK, I see. So we would use the hw_pattern for this and the driver > would implement the pattern_set led_classdev callback. > > The pattern_set callback would then expect 6 brightness/time tuples > with the following meaning for the time part of each tupple > > tupple0: charging blinking_on_time > tupple1: charging blinking_off_time > tupple2: charging breathing_time > tupple3: manual blinking_on_time > tupple4: manual blinking_off_time > tupple5: manual breathing_time > > Where only the times in tupple 0-2; or the times in 3-5 can be > non-zero. Having non zero times for both some charging and some > manual values is not allowed. > > If a breathing time is set, none of the other times may be non > 0. If blinkig_on and blinking_off are used then breathing_time > must be 0. > > When configured to blink then blinking_off must be either 0 > (continuously on); or it must be the same as blinking_on. > > > I believe this will work, does this sound ok to you ? I don't pretend to fully understand it, _but_ hw_pattern should really describe the pattern LED should do, not whether it reacts to charging or not. Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html