From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Updates for 5.2
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 20:27:29 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, 15 May 2019 16:31:34 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:29 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > One option is to just rewrite it something like
> >
> >         const unsigned int offset = offsetof(struct trace_iterator, seq);
> >         memset(offset+(void *)&iter, 0, sizeof(iter) - offset);
>
> Side note: make it a well-named helper function, since
> "ftrace_dump_buf()" does this too in kernel/trace/trace_kdb.c, and

Good point, as they just cut and pasted some of this code.

I like the helper function, as it means I don't need to add the sub
part, as the function would be more contained.

> gets the exact same warning.

I can do this, but it needs testing and all that before sending to you,
and may not make the merge window. Is that fine?

-- Steve