On 2019-12-19, Sargun Dhillon wrote: > On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 2:35 AM Christian Brauner > wrote: > > I guess this is the remaining question we should settle, i.e. what do we > > prefer. > > I still think that adding a new syscall for this seems a bit rich. On > > the other hand it seems that a lot more people agree that using a > > dedicated syscall instead of an ioctl is the correct way; especially > > when it touches core kernel functionality. I mean that was one of the > > takeaways from the pidfd API ioctl-vs-syscall discussion. > > > > A syscall is nicer especially for core-kernel code like this. > > So I guess the only way to find out is to try the syscall approach and > > either get yelled and switch to an ioctl() or have it accepted. > > > > What does everyone else think? Arnd, still in favor of a syscall I take > > it. Oleg, you had suggested a syscall too, right? Florian, any > > thoughts/worries on/about this from the glibc side? > > > > Christian > > My feelings towards this are that syscalls might pose a problem if we > ever want to extend this API. Of course we can have a reserved > "flags" field, and populate it later, but what if we turn out to need > a proper struct? I already know we're going to want to add one > around cgroup metadata (net_cls), and likely we'll want to add > a "steal" flag as well. As Arnd mentioned earlier, this is trivial to > fix in a traditional ioctl environment, as ioctls are "cheap". How > do we feel about potentially adding a pidfd_getfd2? Or are we > confident that reserved flags will save us? If we end up making this a syscall, then we can re-use the copy_struct_from_user() API to make it both extensible and compatible in both directions. I wasn't aware that this was frowned upon for ioctls (sorry for the extra work) but there are several syscalls which use this model for extendability (clone3, openat2, sched_setattr, perf_events_open) so there shouldn't be any such complaints for a syscall which is extensible. -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH