On 2020-01-02, David Laight wrote: > From: Aleksa Sarai > > Sent: 30 December 2019 08:32 > ... > > I'm not sure I agree -- as I mentioned in my other mail, re-opening > > through /proc/self/fd/$n works *very* well and has for a long time (in > > fact, both LXC and runc depend on this working). > > I thought it was marginally broken because it is followed as a symlink? > On, for example, NetBSD /proc//fd/ is a real reference to the > filesystem inode and can be used to link the file back into the filesystem > if all the directory entries have been removed. That is also the case on Linux. It (strictly speaking) isn't a symlink in the normal sense of the word, it's a magic-link (nd_jump_link switches the nd->path to the actual 'struct file' in the case of /proc/self/fd/$n). -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH