On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 04:11:19PM +0100, Alexandre Torgue wrote: > David, Rob, > > On 1/17/20 3:43 PM, Rob Herring wrote: > > On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 6:26 AM David Gibson > > wrote: > > > > > > On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 09:58:23AM +0100, Alexandre Torgue wrote: > > > > Hi David > > > > > > > > On 1/16/20 1:57 AM, David Gibson wrote: > > > > > On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 07:16:23PM +0100, Alexandre Torgue wrote: > > > > > > This commit adds the possibility to add build information for a DTB. > > > > > > Build information can be: build date, DTS version, "who built the DTB" > > > > > > (same kind of information that we get in Linux with the Linux banner). > > > > > > > > > > > > To do this, an extra option "-B" using an information file as argument > > > > > > has been added. If this option is used, input device tree is appended with > > > > > > a new string property "Build-info". This property is built with information > > > > > > found in information file given as argument. This file has to be generated > > > > > > by user and shouldn't exceed 256 bytes. > > > > > > > > > > > > Signed-off-by: Alexandre Torgue > > > > > > > > > > At the very least, this patch of the series will need to be sent to > > > > > upstream dtc first. > > > > > > > > Ok sorry. I thought that sending all the series would give more > > > > information. > > > > > > That's fair enough, but in order to merge, you'll need to post against > > > upstream dtc. > > ok > > > > > > > > > I'm also not terribly clear on what you're trying to accomplish here, > > > > > and why it's useful. > > > > > > > > Let's take Kernel boot at example (but could be extend to other DTB "users" > > > > like U-Boot). When Linux kernel booting we get a log that gives useful > > > > information about kernel image: source version, build date, people who built > > > > the kernel image, compiler version. This information is useful for debug and > > > > support. The aim is to get same kind of information but for the DTB. > > > > > > > > > Since you're doing this specifically for use with dtbs built in the > > > > > kernel build, could you just use a: > > > > > Build-info = /incbin/ "build-info.txt"; > > > > > in each of the in-kernel .dts files? > > > > > > > > My first idea was to not modify all existing .dts files. Adding an extra > > > > option in dtc is (for me) the softer way to do it. I mean, compile > > > > information should come through compiler without modify .dts files outside > > > > from dtc. In this way it will be easy to everybody using dtc (inside our > > > > outside Linux tree) to add dtb build info (even if they don't how to write a > > > > dts file). > > > > > > But you're not really having this information coming from the > > > compiler. Instead you're adding a compiler option that just force > > > includes another file into the generated tree, and it's up to your > > > build scripts to put something useful into that file. > > > > > > I don't really see that as preferable to modifying the .dts files. > > I agree. I took example on kernel version info. It doesn't come from gcc but > from auto-generated file. I thought it was the easier way to process. But I > understand your concerns. As it is not generated by dtc itself, dtc should > not be modified. > > > > > > > I also dislike the fact that the option as proposed is much more > > > general than the name suggests, but also very similar too, but much > > > more specific than the existing /incbin/ option. > > > > > > What might be better would be to have a dtc option which force appends > > > an extra .dts to the mail .dts compiled. You can then put an overlay > > > template in that file, something like: > > > > > > &{/} { > > > linux,build-info = /incbin/ "build-info.txt; > > > } > > > > I like this suggestion either as an include another dts file or an > > overlay. The latter could be useful as a way to maintain current dtb > > files while splitting the source files into base and overlay dts > > files. > > First suggestion will imply to modify an huge part of dts file (not a big > modification but a lot :)). I'm not exactly sure what you're meaning by the "first suggestion" here. > Second one (dtbo) sounds good. In this case this dtso will be created from > build-info.txt and applied when dtb is built. So no impacts on current dts > file. I'm right ? This is not a dtbo, it's using the compile time overlaying syntax. .dtbo would be useless for this purpose, since the build information would be detached from the built dtb. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson