On 2020-03-02, David Howells wrote: > Florian Weimer wrote: > > > Regarding open flags, I think the key point for future APIs is to avoid > > using the set of flags for both control of the operation itself > > (O_NOFOLLOW/AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW, O_NOCTTY) and properaties of the > > resulting descriptor (O_RDWR, O_SYNC). I expect that doing that would > > help code that has to re-create an equivalent descriptor. The operation > > flags are largely irrelevant to that if you can get the descriptor by > > other means. > > It would also be nice to sort out the problem with O_CLOEXEC. That can have a > different value, depending on the arch - so it excludes at least three bits > from the O_* flag set. Not to mention there are (at least?) three or four different values for _CLOEXEC for different syscalls... -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH