On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:21:44PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote: > On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:39:46PM +0000, Szabolcs Nagy wrote: > +int arch_elf_adjust_prot(int prot, const struct arch_elf_state *state, > + bool has_interp, bool is_interp) > +{ > + if (is_interp != has_interp) > + return prot; > + > + if (!(state->flags & ARM64_ELF_BTI)) > + return prot; > + > + if (prot & PROT_EXEC) > + prot |= PROT_BTI; > + > + return prot; > +} > At a quick look, for dynamic binaries we have has_interp == true and > is_interp == false. I don't know why but, either way, the above code > needs a comment with some justification. I don't really know for certain either, I inherited this code as is with the understanding that this was all agreed with the toolchain and libc people - the actual discussion that lead to the decisions being made happened before I was involved. My understanding is that the idea was that the dynamic linker would be responsible for mapping everything in dynamic applications other than itself but other than consistency I don't know why. I guess it defers more decision making to userspace but I'm having a hard time thinking of sensible cases where one might wish to make a decision other than enabling PROT_BTI. I'd be perfectly happy to drop the check if that makes more sense to people, otherwise I can send a patch adding a comment explaining the situation.