On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 01:15:56PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote: > Hi Luis, > > On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 02:14:20 +0000 Luis Chamberlain wrote: > > > > > > Fixes: "firmware_loader: remove unused exports" > > > > > > Can't help but notice this strange form of the Fixes tag, is it > > > intentional? > > > > Yeah, no there is no commit for the patch as the commit is ephemeral in > > a development tree not yet upstream, ie, not on Linus' tree yet. Using a > > commit here then makes no sense unless one wants to use a reference > > development tree in this case, as development trees are expected to > > rebase to move closer towards Linus' tree. When a tree rebases, the > > commit IDs change, and this is why the commit is ephemeral unless > > one uses a base tree / branch / tag. > > That commit is in Greg's driver-core tree which never rebases, so the > SHA1 can be considered immutable. This is (should be) true for most > trees that are published in linux-next (I know it is not true for some). Cool, but once merged on Linus' tree, I think it gets yet-another-commit ID right? So someone looking for: git show commit-id-on-gregs-driver-core-tree It would not work? Or would it? Luis