* [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-11 11:33 Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-06-11 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus,

please pull sound fixes for v5.8-rc1 from:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git tags/sound-fix-5.8-rc1

The topmost commit is a4f55d927d33accd6eb535ce0db031e2df47714a

sound fixes for 5.8-rc1

Here are last-minute fixes gathered before merge window close;
a few fixes are for the core while the rest majority are driver
fixes.

* PCM locking annotation fixes and the possible self-lock fix
* ASoC DPCM regression fixes with multi-CPU DAI
* A fix for inconsistent resume from system-PM on USB-audio
* Improved runtime-PM handling with multiple USB interfaces
* Quirks for HD-audio and USB-audio
* Hardened firmware handling in max98390 codec
* A couple of fixes for meson

Bard Liao (1):
      ASoC: core: only convert non DPCM link to DPCM link

Colin Ian King (1):
      ASoC: meson: fix memory leak of links if allocation of ldata fails

Dan Carpenter (1):
      ALSA: emu10k1: delete an unnecessary condition

Dan Murphy (1):
      dt-bindings: ASoc: Fix tdm-slot documentation spelling error

Hans de Goede (2):
      ASoC: Intel: bytcr_rt5640: Add quirk for Toshiba Encore WT10-A tablet
      ASoC: rt5645: Add platform-data for Asus T101HA

Hui Wang (1):
      ALSA: hda/realtek - add a pintbl quirk for several Lenovo machines

Kai-Heng Feng (1):
      ALSA: usb-audio: Add vendor, product and profile name for HP Thunderbolt Dock

Michał Mirosław (2):
      ALSA: pcm: fix snd_pcm_link() lockdep splat
      ALSA: pcm: disallow linking stream to itself

Oder Chiou (1):
      ASoC: rl6231: Modify the target DMIC clock rate

Pavel Machek (CIP) (1):
      ASoC: meson: add missing free_irq() in error path

Pierre-Louis Bossart (3):
      ASoC: soc-pcm: dpcm: fix playback/capture checks
      ASoC: Intel: boards: replace capture_only by dpcm_capture
      ASoC: SOF: nocodec: conditionally set dpcm_capture/dpcm_playback flags

Shengjiu Wang (1):
      ASoC: fsl-asoc-card: Defer probe when fail to find codec device

Steve Lee (1):
      ASoC: max98390: Fix potential crash during param fw loading

Takashi Iwai (4):
      ASoC: max98390: Fix incorrect printf qualifier
      ALSA: usb-audio: Fix inconsistent card PM state after resume
      ALSA: usb-audio: Use the new macro for HP Dock rename quirks
      ALSA: usb-audio: Manage auto-pm of all bundled interfaces

---
 .../devicetree/bindings/sound/tdm-slot.txt         |  4 +-
 sound/core/pcm_native.c                            | 20 +++++++-
 sound/pci/emu10k1/emu10k1x.c                       |  2 +-
 sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c                      |  6 +++
 sound/soc/codecs/max98390.c                        | 26 +++++++++--
 sound/soc/codecs/max98390.h                        |  3 +-
 sound/soc/codecs/rl6231.c                          |  4 +-
 sound/soc/codecs/rt5645.c                          | 14 ++++++
 sound/soc/fsl/fsl-asoc-card.c                      |  2 +-
 sound/soc/intel/boards/bytcr_rt5640.c              | 12 +++++
 sound/soc/intel/boards/glk_rt5682_max98357a.c      |  2 +-
 sound/soc/intel/boards/kbl_da7219_max98927.c       |  4 +-
 sound/soc/intel/boards/kbl_rt5663_max98927.c       |  2 +-
 .../soc/intel/boards/kbl_rt5663_rt5514_max98927.c  |  2 +-
 sound/soc/meson/axg-fifo.c                         | 10 +++-
 sound/soc/meson/meson-card-utils.c                 | 17 +++++--
 sound/soc/soc-core.c                               | 22 +++++++--
 sound/soc/soc-pcm.c                                | 44 ++++++++++++++----
 sound/soc/sof/nocodec.c                            |  6 ++-
 sound/usb/card.c                                   | 54 +++++++++++++++++-----
 sound/usb/quirks-table.h                           | 12 +++++
 sound/usb/usbaudio.h                               |  6 ++-

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-11 19:50 ` pr-tracker-bot
From: pr-tracker-bot @ 2020-06-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai

The pull request you sent on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 13:33:19 +0200:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git tags/sound-fix-5.8-rc1

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/e0154bd478897b277aeb7195bf9088e9ce05bbb0

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/prtracker

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12  0:13 ` John Stultz
From: John Stultz @ 2020-06-12  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, Pierre-Louis Bossart
	Guennadi Liakhovetski, Srini Kandagatla, Vinod Koul, Amit Pundir

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 6:39 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
>
> Here are last-minute fixes gathered before merge window close;
> a few fixes are for the core while the rest majority are driver
> fixes.
>
> * PCM locking annotation fixes and the possible self-lock fix
> * ASoC DPCM regression fixes with multi-CPU DAI

Just as a heads up, we just recently got HDMI audio working on the
Dragonboard 845c (Vinod has patches he's sending out here in the next
few days), but they suddenly stopped working today with the following
error:
[   13.110725] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
MultiMedia1 mapping ok
[   13.119343] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
MultiMedia2 mapping ok
[   13.127969] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
MultiMedia3 mapping ok
[   13.135891] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
[   13.145042] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: CPU DAI QUAT_MI2S_RX for
rtd HDMI Playback does not support capture
[   13.154873] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: ASoC: can't create pcm HDMI
Playback :-22
[   13.165634] snd-malloc: invalid device type 0
[   13.170057] snd-malloc: invalid device type 0
[   13.174888] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Sound card registration failed
[   13.181574] msm-snd-sdm845: probe of soc@0:sound failed with error -22

 I've bisected it down to the following commit from this pull req:
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b73287f0b0745961b14e5ebcce92cc8ed24d4d52

Without this patch:
[   13.056906] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
MultiMedia1 mapping ok
[   13.075465] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
MultiMedia2 mapping ok
[   13.092949] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
MultiMedia3 mapping ok
[   13.109704] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
[   13.125584] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: i2s-hifi <-> QUAT_MI2S_RX mapping ok
[   13.125621] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: multicodec <-> SLIMBUS_0_RX
mapping ok
[   13.141682] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: wcd934x_tx1 <->
SLIMBUS_0_TX mapping ok

I've not managed to dig in with much analysis yet (possibly something
off with the current patches we have), but wanted to raise the issue
in case others start to see it too.

thanks
-john

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12  0:49   ` John Stultz
From: John Stultz @ 2020-06-12  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 6:39 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
> >
> > Here are last-minute fixes gathered before merge window close;
> > a few fixes are for the core while the rest majority are driver
> > fixes.
> >
> > * PCM locking annotation fixes and the possible self-lock fix
> > * ASoC DPCM regression fixes with multi-CPU DAI
>
> Just as a heads up, we just recently got HDMI audio working on the
> Dragonboard 845c (Vinod has patches he's sending out here in the next
> few days), but they suddenly stopped working today with the following
> error:
> [   13.110725] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
> MultiMedia1 mapping ok
> [   13.119343] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
> MultiMedia2 mapping ok
> [   13.127969] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
> MultiMedia3 mapping ok
> [   13.135891] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
> snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
> [   13.145042] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: CPU DAI QUAT_MI2S_RX for
> rtd HDMI Playback does not support capture
> [   13.154873] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: ASoC: can't create pcm HDMI
> Playback :-22
> [   13.165634] snd-malloc: invalid device type 0
> [   13.170057] snd-malloc: invalid device type 0
> [   13.174888] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Sound card registration failed
> [   13.181574] msm-snd-sdm845: probe of soc@0:sound failed with error -22
>
>  I've bisected it down to the following commit from this pull req:
>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b73287f0b0745961b14e5ebcce92cc8ed24d4d52
>
> Without this patch:
> [   13.056906] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
> MultiMedia1 mapping ok
> [   13.075465] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
> MultiMedia2 mapping ok
> [   13.092949] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
> MultiMedia3 mapping ok
> [   13.109704] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
> snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
> [   13.125584] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: i2s-hifi <-> QUAT_MI2S_RX mapping ok
> [   13.125621] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: multicodec <-> SLIMBUS_0_RX
> mapping ok
> [   13.141682] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: wcd934x_tx1 <->
> SLIMBUS_0_TX mapping ok
>
> I've not managed to dig in with much analysis yet (possibly something
> off with the current patches we have), but wanted to raise the issue
> in case others start to see it too.

I don't know the backgroun again, but would something like the
following make sense?
https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/android-dev.git/commit/?h=dev/db845c-mainline-WIP&id=7e49b248db77b5ed29b2aa278268e77650c75482

It avoids failing completely if playback or capture isn't found.

thanks
-john

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12 11:41     ` Srinivas Kandagatla
From: Srinivas Kandagatla @ 2020-06-12 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stultz, Takashi Iwai, Pierre-Louis Bossart
	Guennadi Liakhovetski, Vinod Koul, Amit Pundir

Thanks John for reporting this,

On 12/06/2020 01:49, John Stultz wrote:
> [...]
>> [   13.109704] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
>> snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
>> [   13.125584] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: i2s-hifi <-> QUAT_MI2S_RX mapping ok
>> [   13.125621] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: multicodec <-> SLIMBUS_0_RX
>> mapping ok
>> [   13.141682] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: wcd934x_tx1 <->
>> SLIMBUS_0_TX mapping ok
>>
>> I've not managed to dig in with much analysis yet (possibly something
>> off with the current patches we have), but wanted to raise the issue
>> in case others start to see it too.
>
> I don't know the backgroun again, but would something like the
> following make sense?
> https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/android-dev.git/commit/?h=dev/db845c-mainline-WIP&id=7e49b248db77b5ed29b2aa278268e77650c75482
>
> It avoids failing completely if playback or capture isn't found.

Can you please try these two patches, I think the problem is that FE
dailinks are always set to bidirectional, this two patches should fix it.

https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=bb7ce65a0ca1640cd9ff301c885f56ce00519834

https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=9b568e491f0410b453aaf5a147b75252a6943ffd

Once you confirm I can send them to list as fixes.

Thanks,
srini

@ 2020-06-12 12:19     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-06-12 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stultz
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Pierre-Louis Bossart, Liam Girdwood,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Bard Liao, Guennadi Liakhovetski,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 05:49:29PM -0700, John Stultz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org> wrote:

> >  I've bisected it down to the following commit from this pull req:
> >   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b73287f0b0745961b14e5ebcce92cc8ed24d4d52

For the benefit of readers that's "ASoC: soc-pcm: dpcm: fix
playback/capture checks".

> I don't know the backgroun again, but would something like the
> following make sense?
> https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/android-dev.git/commit/?h=dev/db845c-mainline-WIP&id=7e49b248db77b5ed29b2aa278268e77650c75482

That's a small out of tree test patch which has no changelog so I'm not
entirely clear what the intent or motivation is but it looks like the
goal is to change so that we only warn when a link says it supports
playback/capture but some of the DAIs lack the capability instead of
returning an error.  I'm not sure I understand how that helps, it seems
like the link is still misconfigured and we still have a warning which
isn't great?  Surely the issue is that we've flagged the link as
supporting capture when it doesn't?

Please include human readable descriptions of things like commits and
issues being discussed in e-mail in your mails, this makes them much
easier for humans to read especially when they have no internet access.
I do frequently catch up on my mail on flights or while otherwise
travelling so this is even more pressing for me than just being about
making things a bit easier to read.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12 12:35       ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-06-12 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas Kandagatla
  Cc: John Stultz, Takashi Iwai, Pierre-Louis Bossart, Liam Girdwood,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Bard Liao, Guennadi Liakhovetski,
	Vinod Koul, Amit Pundir

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 12:41:59PM +0100, Srinivas Kandagatla wrote:

> Can you please try these two patches, I think the problem is that FE
> dailinks are always set to bidirectional, this two patches should fix it.

> https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=bb7ce65a0ca1640cd9ff301c885f56ce00519834

> https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=9b568e491f0410b453aaf5a147b75252a6943ffd

> Once you confirm I can send them to list as fixes.

These seem sensible to me, probably worth submitting them even if more
investigation is needed on the original issue.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12 13:54       ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2020-06-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, John Stultz
	Bard Liao, Guennadi Liakhovetski, Srini Kandagatla, Vinod Koul,
	Amit Pundir

On 6/12/20 7:19 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 05:49:29PM -0700, John Stultz wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org> wrote:
>
>>>   I've bisected it down to the following commit from this pull req:
>>>    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b73287f0b0745961b14e5ebcce92cc8ed24d4d52
>
> For the benefit of readers that's "ASoC: soc-pcm: dpcm: fix
> playback/capture checks".
>
>> I don't know the backgroun again, but would something like the
>> following make sense?
>> https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/android-dev.git/commit/?h=dev/db845c-mainline-WIP&id=7e49b248db77b5ed29b2aa278268e77650c75482
>
> That's a small out of tree test patch which has no changelog so I'm not
> entirely clear what the intent or motivation is but it looks like the
> goal is to change so that we only warn when a link says it supports
> playback/capture but some of the DAIs lack the capability instead of
> returning an error.  I'm not sure I understand how that helps, it seems
> like the link is still misconfigured and we still have a warning which
> isn't great?  Surely the issue is that we've flagged the link as
> supporting capture when it doesn't?

Indeed the addition of stricter checks will expose cases where the links
are not well configured, probably for years. The patch "ASoC: soc-pcm:
dpcm: fix playback/capture checks" did not add those checks, only fixed
them for the multi-dai case.

I think that those configuration errors are the problem and should be
fixed as a prerequisite to the removal of the duplication between
dpcm_playback/dpcm_capture/playback_only/capture_only. it may be painful
and generate noise for a while, but if we only throw a warning what are
the odds all those configuration errors will eventually be fixed?

If we need more time for validation on all platforms, then maybe we can
first relax the check for 5.8-rc1 as suggested by John, but re-add the
-EINVAL on -next to give a target of 5.9 with all configurations fixed?

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12 14:46         ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-06-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
  Cc: John Stultz, Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 08:54:11AM -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> I think that those configuration errors are the problem and should be fixed
> as a prerequisite to the removal of the duplication between
> dpcm_playback/dpcm_capture/playback_only/capture_only. it may be painful and
> generate noise for a while, but if we only throw a warning what are the odds
> all those configuration errors will eventually be fixed?

Yeah, I'm kind of pessimistic about the likelyhood of people paying
attention to warnings.

> If we need more time for validation on all platforms, then maybe we can
> first relax the check for 5.8-rc1 as suggested by John, but re-add the
> -EINVAL on -next to give a target of 5.9 with all configurations fixed?

I can't help feeling that it'd be postponing the inevitable, but perhaps
I'm being overly pessimistic here.  The change did obviously go in quite
late though so it's not the worst idea if you want to send the patch?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12 14:56           ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2020-06-12 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: John Stultz, Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood,

On 6/12/20 9:46 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 08:54:11AM -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
>
>> I think that those configuration errors are the problem and should be fixed
>> as a prerequisite to the removal of the duplication between
>> dpcm_playback/dpcm_capture/playback_only/capture_only. it may be painful and
>> generate noise for a while, but if we only throw a warning what are the odds
>> all those configuration errors will eventually be fixed?
>
> Yeah, I'm kind of pessimistic about the likelyhood of people paying
> attention to warnings.
>
>> If we need more time for validation on all platforms, then maybe we can
>> first relax the check for 5.8-rc1 as suggested by John, but re-add the
>> -EINVAL on -next to give a target of 5.9 with all configurations fixed?
>
> I can't help feeling that it'd be postponing the inevitable, but perhaps
> I'm being overly pessimistic here.  The change did obviously go in quite
> late though so it's not the worst idea if you want to send the patch?

I see patches from Srinivas to fix the issue reported by John, so maybe
apply those patches first and if we see another issue on another
platform we relax the check?

* Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
@ 2020-06-12 23:59       ` John Stultz
From: John Stultz @ 2020-06-12 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas Kandagatla
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Pierre-Louis Bossart, Mark Brown, Liam Girdwood,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Bard Liao, Guennadi Liakhovetski,
	Vinod Koul, Amit Pundir

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 4:42 AM Srinivas Kandagatla
<srinivas.kandagatla@linaro.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >> off with the current patches we have), but wanted to raise the issue
> >> in case others start to see it too.
> >
> > I don't know the backgroun again, but would something like the
> > following make sense?
> > https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/android-dev.git/commit/?h=dev/db845c-mainline-WIP&id=7e49b248db77b5ed29b2aa278268e77650c75482
> >
> > It avoids failing completely if playback or capture isn't found.
>
> Can you please try these two patches, I think the problem is that FE
> dailinks are always set to bidirectional, this two patches should fix it.
>
> https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=bb7ce65a0ca1640cd9ff301c885f56ce00519834
>
> https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=9b568e491f0410b453aaf5a147b75252a6943ffd
>

> Once you confirm I can send them to list as fixes.

Yep! These two patches work for me! Thanks so much for the quick fix!
-john