* Linux 5.8
@ 2020-08-02 21:50 Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2020-08-02 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

So I considered making an rc8 all the way to the last minute, but
decided it's not just worth waiting another week when there aren't any
big looming worries around.

Because despite the merge window having been very large, there really
hasn't been anything scary going on in the release candidates. Yeah,
we had some annoying noise with header file dependencies this week,
but that's not a new annoyance, and it's also not the kind of subtle
bug that keeps me up at night worrying about it.

It did reinforce how nice it would be if we had some kind of tooling
support to break nasty header file dependencies automatically, but if
wishes were horses.. Maybe some day we'll have some kind of SAT-solver
for symbol dependencies that can handle all our different
architectures and configurations, but right now it's just a manual
pain that occasionally bites us.

Anyway..

Aside from silly header file noise, the last week was mostly dominated
by the networking pull, which accounts for about half of the changes
(mellanox drivers and selftests stand out, but there's other smaller
things in there too). Some RCU fixes stand out.

Outside of the networking stuff, it's mostly various small driver
fixes (gpu, rdma, sound and pinctrl being much of it), and some minor
architecture noise (arm, x86, powerpc). But it's all fairly small.

So there it is, a shiny new kernel. Give it a whirl before all you
people start sending me the pull requests for the merge window, which
I'll start handling tomorrow..

                 Linus

---

Aaron Ma (1):
      e1000e: continue to init PHY even when failed to disable ULP

Akash Asthana (1):
      MAINTAINERS: Update GENI I2C maintainers list

Al Viro (1):
      fix a braino in cmsghdr_from_user_compat_to_kern()

Alaa Hleihel (1):
      net/mlx5e: Fix kernel crash when setting vf VLANID on a VF dev

Alain Michaud (1):
      Bluetooth: fix kernel oops in store_pending_adv_report

Alex Deucher (1):
      Revert "drm/amdgpu: Fix NULL dereference in dpm sysfs handlers"

Alexander Duyck (1):
      virtio-balloon: Document byte ordering of poison_val

Amit Cohen (1):
      selftests: ethtool: Fix test when only two speeds are supported

Andrii Nakryiko (2):
      bpf: Fix map leak in HASH_OF_MAPS map
      selftests/bpf: Extend map-in-map selftest to detect memory leaks

Ard Biesheuvel (1):
      ARM: 8988/1: mmu: fix crash in EFI calls due to p4d typo in
create_mapping_late()

Armas Spann (2):
      ALSA: hda/realtek: enable headset mic of ASUS ROG Zephyrus
G15(GA502) series with ALC289
      ALSA: hda/realtek: typo_fix: enable headset mic of ASUS ROG
Zephyrus G14(GA401) series with ALC289

Aya Levin (1):
      net/mlx5e: Fix error path of device attach

Ben Hutchings (1):
      libtraceevent: Fix build with binutils 2.35

Ben Skeggs (5):
      drm/nouveau/disp/gm200-: fix regression from HDA SOR selection changes
      drm/nouveau/kms/gf100: use correct format modifiers
      drm/nouveau/kms/tu102: wait for core update to complete when
assigning windows
      drm/nouveau/fbcon: fix module unload when fbcon init has failed
for some reason
      drm/nouveau/fbcon: zero-initialise the mode_cmd2 structure

Biju Das (1):
      drm: of: Fix double-free bug

Christoph Hellwig (3):
      net/9p: validate fds in p9_fd_open
      nvme: add a Identify Namespace Identification Descriptor list quirk
      net/bpfilter: Initialize pos in __bpfilter_process_sockopt

Cong Wang (1):
      ipv6: fix memory leaks on IPV6_ADDRFORM path

David Howells (1):
      rxrpc: Fix race between recvmsg and sendmsg on immediate call failure

Douglas Anderson (2):
      pinctrl: qcom: Handle broken/missing PDC dual edge IRQs on sc7180
      drm: panel: simple: Delay HPD checking on boe_nv133fhm_n61 for 15 ms

Eran Ben Elisha (3):
      net/mlx5: Fix a bug of using ptp channel index as pin index
      net/mlx5: Verify Hardware supports requested ptp function on a given pin
      net/mlx5: Query PPS pin operational status before registering it

Fabio Estevam (2):
      ARM: dts: imx6sx-sdb: Fix the phy-mode on fec2
      ARM: dts: imx6sx-sabreauto: Fix the phy-mode on fec2

Felix Fietkau (1):
      mac80211: remove STA txq pending airtime underflow warning

Francesco Ruggeri (1):
      igb: reinit_locked() should be called with rtnl_lock

Grygorii Strashko (2):
      ARM: dts: keystone-k2g-evm: fix rgmii phy-mode for ksz9031 phy
      ARM: percpu.h: fix build error

Guido Günther (1):
      drm/bridge: nwl-dsi: Drop DRM_BRIDGE_ATTACH_NO_CONNECTOR check.

Guillaume Nault (1):
      bareudp: forbid mixing IP and MPLS in multiproto mode

Guojia Liao (2):
      net: hns3: fix aRFS FD rules leftover after add a user FD rule
      net: hns3: fix for VLAN config when reset failed

Hangbin Liu (1):
      selftests/bpf: fix netdevsim trap_flow_action_cookie read

Herbert Xu (2):
      rhashtable: Fix unprotected RCU dereference in __rht_ptr
      rhashtable: Restore RCU marking on rhash_lock_head

Ido Schimmel (7):
      vxlan: Ensure FDB dump is performed under RCU
      ipv4: Silence suspicious RCU usage warning
      mlxsw: spectrum_router: Allow programming link-local host routes
      mlxsw: spectrum: Use different trap group for externally routed packets
      mlxsw: core: Increase scope of RCU read-side critical section
      mlxsw: core: Free EMAD transactions using kfree_rcu()
      mlxsw: spectrum_router: Fix use-after-free in router init / de-init

Jaedon Shin (1):
      ARM: 8987/1: VDSO: Fix incorrect clock_gettime64

Jakub Kicinski (2):
      mlx4: disable device on shutdown
      devlink: ignore -EOPNOTSUPP errors on dumpit

James Jones (1):
      drm/nouveau: Accept 'legacy' format modifiers

Jason Gunthorpe (2):
      RDMA/cm: Add min length checks to user structure copies
      RDMA/mlx5: Fix prefetch memory leak if get_prefetchable_mr fails

Jean-Philippe Brucker (1):
      selftests/bpf: Fix cgroup sockopt verifier test

Jian Shen (1):
      net: hns3: add reset check for VF updating port based VLAN

Jianbo Liu (3):
      net/mlx5e: CT: Support restore ipv6 tunnel
      net/mlx5e: E-Switch, Add misc bit when misc fields changed for mirroring
      net/mlx5e: E-Switch, Specify flow_source for rule with no in_port

Jitao Shi (1):
      drm/panel: Fix auo, kd101n80-45na horizontal noise on edges of panel

Johan Hovold (3):
      net: lan78xx: add missing endpoint sanity check
      net: lan78xx: fix transfer-buffer memory leak
      net: lan78xx: replace bogus endpoint lookup

John Garry (1):
      MAINTAINERS: Include drivers subdirs for ARM PMU PROFILING AND
DEBUGGING entry

Joyce Ooi (1):
      MAINTAINERS: Replace Thor Thayer as Altera Triple Speed Ethernet
maintainer

Julian Squires (1):
      cfg80211: check vendor command doit pointer before use

Kai-Heng Feng (1):
      nvme-pci: prevent SK hynix PC400 from using Write Zeroes command

Kailang Yang (1):
      ALSA: hda/realtek - Fixed HP right speaker no sound

Landen Chao (1):
      net: ethernet: mtk_eth_soc: fix MTU warnings

Laurence Tratt (1):
      ALSA: usb-audio: Add implicit feedback quirk for SSL2

Laurentiu Palcu (1):
      drm/bridge/adv7511: set the bridge type properly

Leon Romanovsky (4):
      RDMA/mlx5: Allow providing extra scatter CQE QP flag
      RDMA/mlx5: Initialize QP mutex for the debug kernels
      RDMA/core: Stop DIM before destroying CQ
      RDMA/core: Free DIM memory in error unwind

Linus Torvalds (2):
      random32: remove net_rand_state from the latent entropy gcc plugin
      Linux 5.8

Linus Walleij (1):
      drm/mcde: Fix stability issue

Lu Wei (1):
      net: nixge: fix potential memory leak in nixge_probe()

Maor Dickman (1):
      net/mlx5e: Fix missing cleanup of ethtool steering during rep rx cleanup

Maor Gottlieb (1):
      net/mlx5: Fix forward to next namespace

Marc Zyngier (2):
      KVM: arm64: Prevent vcpu_has_ptrauth from generating OOL functions
      arm64: Drop unnecessary include from asm/smp.h

Mark Salyzyn (1):
      af_key: pfkey_dump needs parameter validation

Martin Varghese (1):
      Documentation: bareudp: Corrected description of bareudp module.

Masahiro Yamada (8):
      kconfig: qconf: use if_changed for qconf.moc rule
      kconfig: qconf: compile moc object separately
      kconfig: qconf: use delete[] instead of delete to free array
      kconfig: qconf: remove "goBack" debug message
      Revert "kconfig: qconf: Change title for the item window"
      Revert "kconfig: qconf: don't show goback button on splitMode"
      kconfig: qconf: remove wrong ConfigList::firstChild()
      kbuild: remove redundant FORCE definition in scripts/Makefile.modpost

Matthieu Baerts (1):
      mptcp: fix joined subflows with unblocking sk

Maxime Ripard (2):
      ARM: dts sunxi: Relax a bit the CMA pool allocation range
      arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Fix Cedrus IOMMU usage

Mazin Rezk (1):
      drm/amd/display: Clear dm_state for fast updates

Michael Karcher (1):
      sh: Fix validation of system call number

Michael S. Tsirkin (2):
      vhost/scsi: fix up req type endian-ness
      virtio_balloon: fix up endian-ness for free cmd id

Michael Trimarchi (1):
      ARM: dts: imx6qdl-icore: Fix OTG_ID pin and sdcard detect

Mike Marciniszyn (1):
      IB/rdmavt: Fix RQ counting issues causing use of an invalid RWQE

Nicholas Piggin (1):
      powerpc/64s/hash: Fix hash_preload running with interrupts enabled

Paolo Bonzini (3):
      selftests: kvm: do not set guest mode flag
      KVM: nVMX: check for required but missing VMCS12 in KVM_SET_NESTED_STATE
      KVM: nVMX: check for invalid hdr.vmx.flags

Parav Pandit (2):
      net/mlx5: E-switch, Destroy TSAR when fail to enable the mode
      net/mlx5: E-switch, Destroy TSAR after reload interface

Paul Cercueil (1):
      drm/dbi: Fix SPI Type 1 (9-bit) transfer

Paul Moore (1):
      revert: 1320a4052ea1 ("audit: trigger accompanying records when
no rules present")

Pavel Begunkov (2):
      io_uring: fix ->work corruption with poll_add
      io_uring: fix lockup in io_fail_links()

Pavel Machek (1):
      signal: fix typo in dequeue_synchronous_signal()

PeiSen Hou (1):
      ALSA: hda/realtek: Fix add a "ultra_low_power" function for
intel reference board (alc256)

Peilin Ye (3):
      bpf: Fix NULL pointer dereference in __btf_resolve_helper_id()
      drm/amdgpu: Prevent kernel-infoleak in amdgpu_info_ioctl()
      rds: Prevent kernel-infoleak in rds_notify_queue_get()

Peter Zijlstra (1):
      sh/tlb: Fix PGTABLE_LEVELS > 2

Philippe Duplessis-Guindon (1):
      tools lib traceevent: Fix memory leak in process_dynamic_array_len

Qiushi Wu (1):
      firmware: Fix a reference count leak.

Raed Salem (1):
      net/mlx5e: Fix slab-out-of-bounds in mlx5e_rep_is_lag_netdev

Rajkumar Manoharan (1):
      mac80211: fix warning in 6 GHz IE addition in mesh mode

Ranjani Sridharan (1):
      ALSA: hda: fix NULL pointer dereference during suspend

Remi Pommarel (2):
      mac80211: mesh: Free ie data when leaving mesh
      mac80211: mesh: Free pending skb when destroying a mpath

René van Dorst (1):
      net: ethernet: mtk_eth_soc: Always call mtk_gmac0_rgmii_adjust()
for mt7623

Robert Hancock (1):
      PCI/ASPM: Disable ASPM on ASMedia ASM1083/1085 PCIe-to-PCI bridge

Robin Murphy (1):
      arm64: csum: Fix handling of bad packets

Ron Diskin (1):
      net/mlx5e: Modify uplink state on interface up/down

Russell King (1):
      ARM: dts: armada-38x: fix NETA lockup when repeatedly switching speeds

Rustam Kovhaev (1):
      usb: hso: check for return value in hso_serial_common_create()

Sabrina Dubroca (7):
      xfrm: esp6: fix encapsulation header offset computation
      espintcp: support non-blocking sends
      espintcp: recv() should return 0 when the peer socket is closed
      xfrm: policy: fix IPv6-only espintcp compilation
      xfrm: esp6: fix the location of the transport header with encapsulation
      espintcp: handle short messages instead of breaking the encap socket
      espintcp: count packets dropped in espintcp_rcv

Sagi Grimberg (1):
      nvme-tcp: fix possible hang waiting for icresp response

Sam Ravnborg (1):
      drm/drm_fb_helper: fix fbdev with sparc64

Sami Tolvanen (1):
      arm64/alternatives: move length validation inside the subsection

Shannon Nelson (1):
      ionic: unlock queue mutex in error path

Stafford Horne (1):
      io: Fix return type of _inb and _inl

Steffen Klassert (1):
      xfrm: Fix crash when the hold queue is used.

Steve Cohen (1):
      drm: hold gem reference until object is no longer accessed

Subbaraya Sundeep (3):
      octeontx2-pf: Fix reset_task bugs
      octeontx2-pf: cancel reset_task work
      octeontx2-pf: Unregister netdev at driver remove

Taehee Yoo (1):
      vxlan: fix memleak of fdb

Takashi Iwai (2):
      ALSA: hda: Workaround for spurious wakeups on some Intel platforms
      ALSA: hda/hdmi: Fix keep_power assignment for non-component devices

Tanner Love (4):
      selftests/net: rxtimestamp: fix clang issues for target arch PowerPC
      selftests/net: psock_fanout: fix clang issues for target arch PowerPC
      selftests/net: so_txtime: fix clang issues for target arch PowerPC
      selftests/net: tcp_mmap: fix clang warning for target arch PowerPC

Thomas Falcon (1):
      ibmvnic: Fix IRQ mapping disposal in error path

Thomas Gleixner (1):
      x86/i8259: Use printk_deferred() to prevent deadlock

Thomas Richter (1):
      perf tests: Fix test 68 zstd compression for s390

Vasanthakumar Thiagarajan (1):
      mac80211: Fix bug in Tx ack status reporting in 802.3 xmit path

Wang Hai (2):
      9p/trans_fd: Fix concurrency del of req_list in
p9_fd_cancelled/p9_read_work
      net: gemini: Fix missing clk_disable_unprepare() in error path
of gemini_ethernet_port_probe()

Wanpeng Li (2):
      KVM: LAPIC: Prevent setting the tscdeadline timer if the lapic
is hw disabled
      KVM: SVM: Fix disable pause loop exit/pause filtering capability on SVM

Wei Li (1):
      perf tools: Fix record failure when mixed with ARM SPE event

Weilong Chen (1):
      virtio-mem: Fix build error due to improper use 'select'

Will Deacon (2):
      ARM: 8986/1: hw_breakpoint: Don't invoke overflow handler on
uaccess watchpoints
      KVM: arm64: Don't inherit exec permission across page-table levels

Willy Tarreau (2):
      random32: update the net random state on interrupt and activity
      random: fix circular include dependency on arm64 after addition
of percpu.h

Wolfram Sang (4):
      modpost: explain why we can't use strsep
      i2c: also convert placeholder function to return errno
      i2c: slave: improve sanity check when registering
      i2c: slave: add sanity check when unregistering

Xin Long (1):
      xfrm: policy: match with both mark and mask on user interfaces

Xin Xiong (2):
      atm: fix atm_dev refcnt leaks in atmtcp_remove_persistent
      net/mlx5e: fix bpf_prog reference count leaks in mlx5e_alloc_rq

Xiyu Yang (1):
      ipv6: Fix nexthop refcnt leak when creating ipv6 route info

Yonglong Liu (1):
      net: hns3: fix a TX timeout issue

Yunsheng Lin (1):
      net: hns3: fix desc filling bug when skb is expanded or lineared

laurent brando (1):
      net: mscc: ocelot: fix hardware timestamp dequeue logic

liujian (1):
      net/sched: The error lable position is corrected in ct_init_module

* Re: Linux 5.8
@ 2020-08-02 22:02 ` Bhaskar Chowdhury
From: Bhaskar Chowdhury @ 2020-08-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14:50 Sun 02 Aug 2020, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>So I considered making an rc8 all the way to the last minute, but
>decided it's not just worth waiting another week when there aren't any
>big looming worries around.
>
>Because despite the merge window having been very large, there really
>hasn't been anything scary going on in the release candidates. Yeah,
>we had some annoying noise with header file dependencies this week,
>but that's not a new annoyance, and it's also not the kind of subtle
>bug that keeps me up at night worrying about it.
>
>It did reinforce how nice it would be if we had some kind of tooling
>support to break nasty header file dependencies automatically, but if
>wishes were horses.. Maybe some day we'll have some kind of SAT-solver
>for symbol dependencies that can handle all our different
>architectures and configurations, but right now it's just a manual
>pain that occasionally bites us.
>
>Anyway..
>
>Aside from silly header file noise, the last week was mostly dominated
>by the networking pull, which accounts for about half of the changes
>(mellanox drivers and selftests stand out, but there's other smaller
>things in there too). Some RCU fixes stand out.
>
>Outside of the networking stuff, it's mostly various small driver
>fixes (gpu, rdma, sound and pinctrl being much of it), and some minor
>architecture noise (arm, x86, powerpc). But it's all fairly small.
>
>So there it is, a shiny new kernel. Give it a whirl before all you
>people start sending me the pull requests for the merge window, which
>I'll start handling tomorrow..
>
>                 Linus

Very well then, time to spin it up.

Bhaskar

> [...]
>      i2c: also convert placeholder function to return errno
>      i2c: slave: improve sanity check when registering
>      i2c: slave: add sanity check when unregistering
>
>Xin Long (1):
>      xfrm: policy: match with both mark and mask on user interfaces
>
>Xin Xiong (2):
>      atm: fix atm_dev refcnt leaks in atmtcp_remove_persistent
>      net/mlx5e: fix bpf_prog reference count leaks in mlx5e_alloc_rq
>
>Xiyu Yang (1):
>      ipv6: Fix nexthop refcnt leak when creating ipv6 route info
>
>Yonglong Liu (1):
>      net: hns3: fix a TX timeout issue
>
>Yunsheng Lin (1):
>      net: hns3: fix desc filling bug when skb is expanded or lineared
>
>laurent brando (1):
>      net: mscc: ocelot: fix hardware timestamp dequeue logic
>
>liujian (1):
>      net/sched: The error lable position is corrected in ct_init_module

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re:  ..and its build and boots well!! Linux 5.8
@ 2020-08-03  1:04 ` Bhaskar Chowdhury
From: Bhaskar Chowdhury @ 2020-08-03  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)