From: Andrea Righi <andrea.righi@canonical.com>
To: Harshad Shirwadkar <harshadshirwadkar@gmail.com>
Cc: Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>,
	Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@dilger.ca>,
	linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: swap file broken with ext4 fast-commit
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 15:13:33 +0200	[thread overview]

I'm getting the following error if I try to create and activate a swap
file defined on an ext4 filesystem:

 [   34.406479] swapon: file is not committed

The swap file is created in the root filesystem (ext4 mounted with the
following options):

$ grep " / " /proc/mounts
/dev/vda1 / ext4 rw,relatime 0 0

No matter how long I wait or how many times I run sync, I'm still
getting the same error and the swap file is never activated.

A git bisect shows that this issue has been introduced by the following
commit:

 aa75f4d3daae ("ext4: main fast-commit commit path")

Simple test case to reproduce the problem:

 # fallocate -l 8G /swapfile
 # chmod 0600 /swapfile
 # mkswap /swapfile
 # swapon /swapfile

Maybe we're missing to mark the inode as clean somewhere, even if the
transation is committed to the journal?

Thanks,
-Andrea