* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2020-11-20  5:15 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-11-20  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH

Hi all,

After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
this warning:

drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
[...]

Introduced by commit

  a0ccdc4a77a1 ("usb: typec: Add number of altmodes partner attr")

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2020-11-20  6:38 ` Prashant Malani
From: Prashant Malani @ 2020-11-20  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

Hi Stephen,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 04:15:06PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> this warning:
>
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:632: warning: Excess function parameter 'num_alt_modes' description in 'typec_partner_set_num_altmodes'
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   a0ccdc4a77a1 ("usb: typec: Add number of altmodes partner attr")

Thank you for the email, and my apologies about the warning. I've sent a
patch the mailing lists which should hopefully fix this [1].

Please let me know if there is further action required from my side.

Best regards,

[1]:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-usb/20201120063523.4159877-1-pmalani@chromium.org/

@ 2022-01-07 10:35     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2022-01-07 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Hofman

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 11:02:34AM +0100, Pavel Hofman wrote:

> Dne 06. 01. 22 v 17:10 Greg KH napsal(a):
> > On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 02:48:15AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> > > this warning:
> > >
> > > Documentation/ABI/testing/configfs-usb-gadget-uac2:2: WARNIN
> > > G: Malformed table.
> > > Text in column margin in table line 27.
> > >
> > > =====================   =======================================
> > > c_chmask                capture channel mask
> > > c_srate                 capture sampling rate
> > > c_ssize                 capture sample size (bytes)
> > > c_sync                  capture synchronization type
> > >                          (async/adaptive)
> > > c_mute_present          capture mute control enable
> > > c_volume_present        capture volume control enable
> > > c_volume_min            capture volume control min value
> > >                          (in 1/256 dB)
> > > c_volume_max            capture volume control max value
> > >                          (in 1/256 dB)
> > > c_volume_res            capture volume control resolution
> > >                          (in 1/256 dB)
> > > fb_max                  maximum extra bandwidth in async mode
> > > p_chmask                playback channel mask
> > > p_srate                 playback sampling rate
> > > p_ssize                 playback sample size (bytes)
> > > p_mute_present          playback mute control enable
> > > p_volume_present        playback volume control enable
> > > _volume_present        playback volume control enable
> > > p_volume_min            playback volume control min value
> > >                          (in 1/256 dB)
> > > p_volume_max            playback volume control max value
> > >                          (in 1/256 dB)
> > > p_volume_res            playback volume control resolution
> > >                          (in 1/256 dB)
> > > req_number      the number of pre-allocated requests for both capture
> > >                          and playback
> > > =====================   =======================================
> > >
> > > Introduced by commit
> > >
> > >    e3088ebc1b97 ("docs: ABI: added missing num_requests param to UAC2")
> > >

> > Pavel, can you send a follow-on patch to fix this up?
> >

> Greg, sorry for the inconvenience, of course I will do so. Please can you
> point me to some doc describing the correct ABI format? There are varying
> numbers of tabs in those files.

I don't know, try the build yourself and see what works!

greg k-h

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2022-01-07 10:02   ` Pavel Hofman
From: Pavel Hofman @ 2022-01-07 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Stephen Rothwell

Dne 06. 01. 22 v 17:10 Greg KH napsal(a):
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 02:48:15AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
>> this warning:
>>
>> Documentation/ABI/testing/configfs-usb-gadget-uac2:2: WARNIN
>> G: Malformed table.
>> Text in column margin in table line 27.
>>
>> =====================   =======================================
>> c_chmask                capture channel mask
>> c_srate                 capture sampling rate
>> c_ssize                 capture sample size (bytes)
>> c_sync                  capture synchronization type
>>                          (async/adaptive)
>> c_mute_present          capture mute control enable
>> c_volume_present        capture volume control enable
>> c_volume_min            capture volume control min value
>>                          (in 1/256 dB)
>> c_volume_max            capture volume control max value
>>                          (in 1/256 dB)
>> c_volume_res            capture volume control resolution
>>                          (in 1/256 dB)
>> fb_max                  maximum extra bandwidth in async mode
>> p_chmask                playback channel mask
>> p_srate                 playback sampling rate
>> p_ssize                 playback sample size (bytes)
>> p_mute_present          playback mute control enable
>> p_volume_present        playback volume control enable
>> _volume_present        playback volume control enable
>> p_volume_min            playback volume control min value
>>                          (in 1/256 dB)
>> p_volume_max            playback volume control max value
>>                          (in 1/256 dB)
>> p_volume_res            playback volume control resolution
>>                          (in 1/256 dB)
>> req_number      the number of pre-allocated requests for both capture
>>                          and playback
>> =====================   =======================================
>>
>> Introduced by commit
>>
>>    e3088ebc1b97 ("docs: ABI: added missing num_requests param to UAC2")
>>

> Pavel, can you send a follow-on patch to fix this up?

Greg, sorry for the inconvenience, of course I will do so. Please can
you point me to some doc describing the correct ABI format? There are
varying numbers of tabs in those files.

Thanks a lot,

Pavel.

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2022-01-06 16:10 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2022-01-06 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Pavel Hofman

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 02:48:15AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> this warning:
>
> Documentation/ABI/testing/configfs-usb-gadget-uac2:2: WARNIN
> G: Malformed table.
> Text in column margin in table line 27.
>
> =====================   =======================================
> c_chmask                capture channel mask
> c_srate                 capture sampling rate
> c_ssize                 capture sample size (bytes)
> c_sync                  capture synchronization type
>                         (async/adaptive)
> c_mute_present          capture mute control enable
> c_volume_present        capture volume control enable
> c_volume_min            capture volume control min value
>                         (in 1/256 dB)
> c_volume_max            capture volume control max value
>                         (in 1/256 dB)
> c_volume_res            capture volume control resolution
>                         (in 1/256 dB)
> fb_max                  maximum extra bandwidth in async mode
> p_chmask                playback channel mask
> p_srate                 playback sampling rate
> p_ssize                 playback sample size (bytes)
> p_mute_present          playback mute control enable
> p_volume_present        playback volume control enable
> _volume_present        playback volume control enable
> p_volume_min            playback volume control min value
>                         (in 1/256 dB)
> p_volume_max            playback volume control max value
>                         (in 1/256 dB)
> p_volume_res            playback volume control resolution
>                         (in 1/256 dB)
> req_number      the number of pre-allocated requests for both capture
>                         and playback
> =====================   =======================================
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   e3088ebc1b97 ("docs: ABI: added missing num_requests param to UAC2")

Pavel, can you send a follow-on patch to fix this up?

thanks,

greg k-h

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2022-01-06 15:48 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-01-06 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-07-13 21:03     ` Rajat Jain
From: Rajat Jain @ 2021-07-13 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Jonathan Corbet, linux-doc

+linux-doc@vger.kernel.org
+Jonathan Corbet

Hi Jonathan / kernel-docs people,

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 6:37 AM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 10:39:42AM -0700, Rajat Jain wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 1:30 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> > > this warning:
> > >
> > > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Unexpected indentation.
> > > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Block quote ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.
> >
> > I'd be happy to send a patch to fix this, but I didn't really
> > understand what needs to be done.
> >
> > Here is the relevant documentation update in the patch:
> >
> > +What:          /sys/devices/.../removable
> > +Date:          May 2021
> > +Contact:       Rajat Jain <rajatxjain@gmail.com>
> > +               Information about whether a given device can be removed from the
> > +               platform by the user. This is determined by its subsystem in a
> > +               bus / platform-specific way. This attribute is only present for
> > +               devices that can support determining such information:
> > +
> > +               "removable": device can be removed from the platform by the user
> > +               "fixed":     device is fixed to the platform / cannot be removed
> > +                            by the user.
> > +               "unknown":   The information is unavailable / cannot be deduced.
> > +
> > +               Currently this is only supported by USB (which infers the
> > +               information from a combination of hub descriptor bits and
> > +               platform-specific data such as ACPI).
> >
> > I'd be happy to send a patch if you can point me what needs to be done
> > (or let Stephen / Greg / some one else do it if it is easier to just
> > do it instead of guiding me).
>
> I do not know what the "right" thing to do here is, sorry.  Maybe one of
> the kerneldoc people know?

Can someone familiar with the documentation and html docs let me know
what is wrong with Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable
that is resulting in this warning when doing "make htmldocs":

> > > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Unexpected indentation.
> > > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Block quote ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.

I looked at the file line number 2 and it just seems inline with other
similar files in that documentation folder.

Thanks,

Rajat

@ 2021-07-08  8:10   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-08  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Rajat Jain

On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 12:22:06PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 18:30:02 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> > this warning:
> >
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Unexpected indentation.
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Block quote ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.
> >
> > Introduced by commit
> >
> >   70f400d4d957 ("driver core: Move the "removable" attribute from USB to core")
>
> I am still getting these warnings.

Rajat, can you send me a patch to fix this up?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-07-08  2:22 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-07-08  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-06-04 13:37   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-06-04 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajat Jain

@ 2021-06-01 17:39 ` Rajat Jain
From: Rajat Jain @ 2021-06-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 1:30 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> this warning:
>
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Unexpected indentation.
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-removable:2: WARNING: Block quote ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.

I'd be happy to send a patch to fix this, but I didn't really
understand what needs to be done.

Here is the relevant documentation update in the patch:

+What:          /sys/devices/.../removable
+Date:          May 2021

@ 2021-06-01  8:30 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-06-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-05-21  1:28     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2021-05-21  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

Hi Stephen,

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:40 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> I am still seeing this warning.

I will submit a fix for this warning.

Thanks

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-05-21  0:40   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-05-21  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

@ 2021-04-26 21:12   ` Thinh Nguyen
From: Thinh Nguyen @ 2021-04-26 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Stephen Rothwell, Thinh Nguyen

Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:37:33PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
>> this warning:
>>
>> drivers/usb/dwc3/core.h:865: warning: Function parameter or member 'hwparams9' not described in 'dwc3_hwparams'
>>
>> Introduced by commit
>>
>>   16710380d3aa ("usb: dwc3: Capture new capability register GHWPARAMS9")
>
> Thinh, can you submit a fix for this?

My mistake. Just submitted it.

Thanks,
Thinh

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-04-26 12:53 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-26 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Thinh Nguyen

From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-26 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:44:13PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htlmdocs) produced
> this warning:
>
> Documentation/driver-api/usb/writing_usb_driver.rst:129: WARNING: undefined label: usb_header
>
> Presumably introduced by commit
>
>   caa93d9bd2d7 ("usb: Fix up movement of USB core kerneldoc location")

Ugh, we'll get this right yet, there's been updates posted, I'll pick
them up after 5.13-rc1 is out.

thanks!

greg k-h

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-04-26 12:44 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-04-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-04-26 12:37 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-04-26 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-04-21  6:22   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-21  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 04:07:25PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 13:49:16 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> > this warning:
> >
> > include/linux/usb/ch9.h:1: warning: no structured comments found
> >
> > Introduced by commit
> >
> >   855b35ea96c4 ("usb: common: move function's kerneldoc next to its definition")
>
> I am still seeing thus warning (as of next-20210420).

Ick, sorry, will go dig...

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-04-21  6:07 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-04-21  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-03-10  2:49 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-03-10  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-03-03  6:05 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-03-03  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
this warning:

drivers/usb/dwc3/core.h:1273: warning: Function parameter or member 'usb_psy' not described in 'dwc3'

Introduced by commit

  59fa3def35de ("usb: dwc3: add a power supply for current control")

--

@ 2021-02-03  7:04 ` Benson Leung
From: Benson Leung @ 2021-02-03  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Linux Next Mailing List, kyletso

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 04:13:00PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (arm
> multi_v7_defconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c: In function 'typec_partner_set_pd_revision':
> drivers/usb/typec/class.c:763:6: warning: unused variable 'ret' [-Wunused-variable]
>   763 |  int ret;
>       |      ^~~
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   29b01295a829 ("usb: typec: Add typec_partner_set_pd_revision")

Will be fixed by https://lore.kernel.org/r/20210202095512.761214-1-kyletso@google.com,
already in Greg's usb-testing.

Thanks Kyle for the quick fix yesterday.

Benson

--
Benson Leung
Staff Software Engineer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-02-03  5:13 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-02-03  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-01-14  8:51   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-01-14  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 09:48:56AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 13:12:25 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
> > this warning:
> >
> > drivers/usb/dwc3/core.h:1259: warning: Function parameter or member 'gadget_max_speed' not described in 'dwc3'
> >
> > Introduced by commit
> >
> >   7c9a2598463a ("usb: dwc3: gadget: Preserve UDC max speed setting")
>
> I am still getting this warning.

Looks like Mauro just sent me a patch for this, will queue it up now,
thanks.

greg k-h

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2021-01-13 22:48 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-01-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-01-06  2:12 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-01-06  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2020-01-06  9:30   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-01-06  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozlowski
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kishon Vijay Abraham I, Chunfeng Yun,
	Matthias Brugger, Maxime Ripard

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 08:58:58AM +0100, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 02:41:22PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> > produced this warning:
> >
> > WARNING: unmet direct dependencies detected for PHY_DA8XX_USB
> >   Depends on [n]: ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX
> >   Selected by [m]:
> >   - USB_OHCI_HCD_DAVINCI [=m] && USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=m] && (ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX || COMPILE_TEST [=y]) && USB_OHCI_HCD [=m]
> >
> > WARNING: unmet direct dependencies detected for PHY_DA8XX_USB
> >   Depends on [n]: ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX
> >   Selected by [m]:
> >   - USB_OHCI_HCD_DAVINCI [=m] && USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=m] && (ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX || COMPILE_TEST [=y]) && USB_OHCI_HCD [=m]
> >
> > WARNING: unmet direct dependencies detected for PHY_DA8XX_USB
> >   Depends on [n]: ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX
> >   Selected by [m]:
> >   - USB_OHCI_HCD_DAVINCI [=m] && USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=m] && (ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX || COMPILE_TEST [=y]) && USB_OHCI_HCD [=m]
> >
> > Introduced by commit
> >
> >   88eaaecc4446 ("usb: host: Enable compile testing for some of drivers")
>
> +Cc,
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the report.  I already sent a patch for it for the phy:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200103164710.4829-2-krzk@kernel.org/

I'll go queue this up through my usb tree as it is annoying for my
builds as well :(

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2020-01-06  7:58 ` Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2020-01-06  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Kishon Vijay Abraham I, Chunfeng Yun, Matthias Brugger,
	Maxime Ripard

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 02:41:22PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> produced this warning:
>
> WARNING: unmet direct dependencies detected for PHY_DA8XX_USB
>   Depends on [n]: ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX
>   Selected by [m]:
>   - USB_OHCI_HCD_DAVINCI [=m] && USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=m] && (ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX || COMPILE_TEST [=y]) && USB_OHCI_HCD [=m]
>
> WARNING: unmet direct dependencies detected for PHY_DA8XX_USB
>   Depends on [n]: ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX
>   Selected by [m]:
>   - USB_OHCI_HCD_DAVINCI [=m] && USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=m] && (ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX || COMPILE_TEST [=y]) && USB_OHCI_HCD [=m]
>
> WARNING: unmet direct dependencies detected for PHY_DA8XX_USB
>   Depends on [n]: ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX
>   Selected by [m]:
>   - USB_OHCI_HCD_DAVINCI [=m] && USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=m] && (ARCH_DAVINCI_DA8XX || COMPILE_TEST [=y]) && USB_OHCI_HCD [=m]
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   88eaaecc4446 ("usb: host: Enable compile testing for some of drivers")

+Cc,

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the report.  I already sent a patch for it for the phy:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200103164710.4829-2-krzk@kernel.org/

Best regards,
Krzysztof

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2020-01-06  3:41 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-01-06  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH

@ 2018-09-11  8:12 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-09-11  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Sebastian Andrzej Siewior

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 12:47:43PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (arm
> multi_v7_defconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/usb/core/hcd.c: In function '__usb_hcd_giveback_urb':
> drivers/usb/core/hcd.c:1741:16: warning: unused variable 'flags' [-Wunused-variable]
>   unsigned long flags;
>                 ^~~~~
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   ed194d136769 ("usb: core: remove local_irq_save() around ->complete() handler")

Ugh, sorry I missed this :(

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2018-09-11  2:47 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2018-09-11  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
	Sebastian Andrzej Siewior

Hi Greg,

@ 2017-11-02  4:06 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-11-02  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Greg,

arch/arm/boot/dts/stih410-b2120.dtb: Warning (gpios_property): hdmi,hpd-gpio property size (8) too small for cell size 2 in /soc/sti-display-subsystem/sti-hdmi@8d04000
arch/arm/boot/dts/stih407-b2120.dtb: Warning (gpios_property): hdmi,hpd-gpio property size (8) too small for cell size 2 in /soc/sti-display-subsystem/sti-hdmi@8d04000
arch/arm/boot/dts/stih410-b2260.dtb: Warning (gpios_property): hdmi,hpd-gpio property size (8) too small for cell size 2 in /soc/sti-display-subsystem/sti-hdmi@8d04000
arch/arm/boot/dts/mt2701-evb.dtb: Warning (resets_property): Missing property '#reset-cells' in node /syscon@1b000000 or bad phandle (referred from /ethernet@1b100000:resets[0])
arch/arm/boot/dts/mt7623n-rfb-nand.dtb: Warning (resets_property): Missing property '#reset-cells' in node /syscon@1b000000 or bad phandle (referred from /ethernet@1b100000:resets[0])
arch/arm/boot/dts/mt7623n-bananapi-bpi-r2.dtb: Warning (resets_property): Missing property '#reset-cells' in node /syscon@1b000000 or bad phandle (referred from /ethernet@1b100000:resets[0])

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2013-12-10  3:59 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2013-12-10  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Ming Lei

Hi Greg,

After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
produced this warning:

drivers/usb/storage/protocol.c: In function 'usb_stor_access_xfer_buf':
drivers/usb/storage/protocol.c:155:22: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast [enabled by default]

Introduced by commit e5fc70d5ccc3 ("USB: storage: use sg_miter_* APIs to
access scsi buffer").

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2012-11-02 14:18   ` Alan Stern
From: Alan Stern @ 2012-11-02 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Greg KH, linux-next, linux-kernel, Alexander Shishkin

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 03:08:28PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> > produced this warning:
> >
> > WARNING: drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd: 'ehci_init_driver' exported twice. Previous export was in drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko
> > WARNING: drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd: 'ehci_resume' exported twice. Previous export was in drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko
> > WARNING: drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd: 'ehci_suspend' exported twice. Previous export was in drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko
> > WARNING: drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd: 'ehci_setup' exported twice. Previous export was in drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko
> >
> > Introduced by commit 3e0232039967 ("USB: EHCI: prepare to make ehci-hcd a
> > library module").
>
> Alex, why on earth is chipidea exporting symbols it doesn't own ?

That's at least partly my fault.  ehci-hcd.c now exports four symbols
that it didn't before.  Since the ChipIdea driver does

	#include "../host/ehci-hcd.c"

it now exports them too, unintentionally.  A quick band-aid fix would
be to protect those functions with

	#ifndef CHIPIDEA_EHCI

but the real fix is the patch I posted yesterday -- assuming it works
right.  If we don't hear back from Alex soon, I will post the band-aid
fix as a temporary stop-gap.

Alan Stern

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2012-11-02  9:07 ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2012-11-02  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-next, linux-kernel, Alan Stern, Felipe Balbi,
	Alexander Shishkin

@ 2012-11-02  4:08 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-11-02  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Alan Stern, Felipe Balbi

Hi Greg,

@ 2010-11-17  4:20 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-11-17  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Michal Nazarewicz

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:14:27PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> produced this warning:
>
> In file included from drivers/usb/gadget/g_ffs.c:64:
> drivers/usb/gadget/f_fs.c:30:1: warning: "pr_fmt" redefined
> In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:20,
>                  from arch/x86/include/asm/percpu.h:44,
>                  from arch/x86/include/asm/current.h:5,
>                  from arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:15,
>                  from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
>                  from include/linux/list.h:7,
>                  from include/linux/module.h:9,
>                  from drivers/usb/gadget/g_ffs.c:22:
> include/linux/printk.h:161:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
>
> Introduced by commit d8df0b611c66db3b7afd0678213979209616681a ("usb:
> gadget: f_fs: remove custom printk() wrappers").

Thanks, I told Michal about this, he should be sending me a patch for it
soon.

greg k-h

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2010-11-17  2:14 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2010-11-17  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Michal Nazarewicz

Hi Greg,

After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
produced this warning:

In file included from drivers/usb/gadget/g_ffs.c:64:
drivers/usb/gadget/f_fs.c:30:1: warning: "pr_fmt" redefined
In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:20,
                 from arch/x86/include/asm/percpu.h:44,
                 from arch/x86/include/asm/current.h:5,
                 from arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:15,
                 from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
                 from include/linux/list.h:7,
                 from include/linux/module.h:9,
                 from drivers/usb/gadget/g_ffs.c:22:
include/linux/printk.h:161:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Introduced by commit d8df0b611c66db3b7afd0678213979209616681a ("usb:
gadget: f_fs: remove custom printk() wrappers").
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 490 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2010-05-17 18:01 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-05-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Ming Lei

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 04:09:58PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> ppc44x_defconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/usb/core/usb.c:596: warning: 'match_device' defined but not used
>
> Introduced by commit c8a3789b05e2ed43d8fd98934edbf66587cd3f96 ("USB:
> remove usb_find_device") which removed the last user of this function.

Thanks, Ming just sent me a patch to resolve this, I'll go apply it now.

greg k-h

From: Greg KH @ 2010-05-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, John Youn, Sarah Sharp

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 04:16:03PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc allyesconfig)
> produced this warning:
>
> drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c: In function 'prepare_ring':
> drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:1729: warning: unused variable 'addr'
>
> Introduced by commit a2fbb0e4784f6d1b3be0779918e84dd3c0c73f04 ("USB:
> xhci: Transfer ring link TRB activation change").

Thanks, I'll go fix this up.

greg k-h

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2010-05-17  6:16 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2010-05-17  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, John Youn, Sarah Sharp

Hi Greg,

After merging the usb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc allyesconfig)
produced this warning:

drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c: In function 'prepare_ring':
drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:1729: warning: unused variable 'addr'

Introduced by commit a2fbb0e4784f6d1b3be0779918e84dd3c0c73f04 ("USB:
xhci: Transfer ring link TRB activation change").

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the usb tree
@ 2010-05-17  6:09 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2010-05-17  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Ming Lei