From: Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org>
To: Hugh Dickins <hughd@google.com>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>,
	syzbot <syzbot+3622cea378100f45d59f@syzkaller.appspotmail.com>,
	Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@dilger.ca>,
	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org>,
	syzkaller-bugs <syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com>,
	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>, Linux-MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@redhat.com>,
	"Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill@shutemov.name>,
	Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com>,
	Alex Shi <alex.shi@linux.alibaba.com>, Qian Cai <cai@lca.pw>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>,
	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@oracle.com>,
	William Kucharski <william.kucharski@oracle.com>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>,
	linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org, linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel BUG at fs/ext4/inode.c:LINE!
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 18:33:51 +0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 08:28:16AM -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2020, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 08:07:24PM -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > >
> > > Then on crashing a second time, realized there's a stronger reason against
> > > that approach.  If my testing just occasionally crashes on that check,
> > > when the page is reused for part of a compound page, wouldn't it be much
> > > more common for the page to get reused as an order-0 page before reaching
> > > wake_up_page()?  And on rare occasions, might that reused page already be
> > > marked PageWriteback by its new user, and already be waited upon?  What
> > > would that look like?
> > >
> > > It would look like BUG_ON(PageWriteback) after wait_on_page_writeback()
> > > in write_cache_pages() (though I have never seen that crash myself).
> >
> > I don't think this is it.  write_cache_pages() holds a reference to the
> > page -- indeed, it holds the page lock!  So this particular race cannot
> > cause the page to get recycled.  I still have no good ideas what this
> > is :-(
>
> It is confusing. I tried to explain that in the final paragraph:
>
> > > Was there a chance of missed wakeups before, since a page freed before
> > > reaching wake_up_page() would have PageWaiters cleared?  I think not,
> > > because each waiter does hold a reference on the page: this bug comes
> > > not from real waiters, but from when PageWaiters is a false positive.
>
> but got lost in between the original end_page_writeback() and the patched
> version when writing that last part - false positive PageWaiters are not
> relevant.  I'll try rewording that in the simpler version, following.
>
> The BUG_ON(PageWriteback) would occur when the old use of the page, the
> one we do TestClearPageWriteback on, had *no* waiters, so no additional
> page reference beyond the page cache (and whoever racily frees it). The
> reuse of the page definitely has a waiter holding a reference, as you
> point out, and PageWriteback still set; but our belated wake_up_page()
> has woken it to hit the BUG_ON.

I ... think I see.  Let me try to write it out:

page is allocated, added to page cache, dirtied, writeback starts,

--- thread A ---
filesystem calls end_page_writeback()
	test_clear_page_writeback()
--- context switch to thread B ---
truncate_inode_pages_range() finds the page, it doesn't have writeback set,
we delete it from the page cache.  Page gets reallocated, dirtied, writeback
starts again.  Then we call write_cache_pages(), see
PageWriteback() set, call wait_on_page_writeback()
--- context switch back to thread A ---
wake_up_page(page, PG_writeback);
... thread B is woken, but because the wakeup was for the old use of
the page, PageWriteback is still set.

Devious.

We could fix this by turning that 'if' into a 'while' in
write_cache_pages().  Just accept that spurious wakeups can happen
and they're harmless.  We do need to remove that check of PageWaiters
in wake_up_page() -- as you say, we shouldn't be checking that after
dropping the reference.  I had patches to do that ..

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20200416220130.13343-1-willy@infradead.org/
specifically:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20200416220130.13343-11-willy@infradead.org/