From: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org>
To: Lukas Wunner <lukas@wunner.de>
Cc: Jianjun Wang <jianjun.wang@mediatek.com>,
	Rob Herring <robh+dt@kernel.org>,
	Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com>,
	Ryder Lee <ryder.lee@mediatek.com>,
	Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@pengutronix.de>,
	Matthias Brugger <matthias.bgg@gmail.com>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@kernel.org>,
	linux-pci@vger.kernel.org, linux-mediatek@lists.infradead.org,
	devicetree@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org,
	Sj Huang <sj.huang@mediatek.com>,
	youlin.pei@mediatek.com, chuanjia.liu@mediatek.com,
	qizhong.cheng@mediatek.com, sin_jieyang@mediatek.com
Subject: Re: [v4,2/3] PCI: mediatek: Add new generation controller support
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:30:52 -0600	[thread overview]

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 08:39:09AM +0100, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:30:05AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > This is for the power saving requirement. If there is no device
> > > connected with the PCIe slot, the PCIe MAC and PHY should be powered
> > > off.
> > >
> > > Is there any standard flow to support power down the hardware at
> > > probe-time if no device is connected and power it up when hot-add a
> > > device?
> >
> > That's a good question.  I assume this looks like a standard PCIe
> > hot-add event?
> >
> > When you hot-add a device, does the Root Port generate a Presence
> > Detect Changed interrupt?  The pciehp driver should field that
> > interrupt and turn on power to the slot via the Power Controller
> > Control bit in the Slot Control register.
> >
> > Does your hardware require something more than that to control the MAC
> > and PHY power?
>
> Power saving of unused PCIe ports is generally achieved through the
> runtime PM framework.  When a PCIe port runtime suspends, the PCIe
> core will transition it to D3hot.  On top of that, the platform
> may be able to transition the port to D3cold.  Currently only the
> ACPI platform supports that.  Conceivably, devicetree-based systems
> may want to disable certain clocks or regulators when a PCIe port
> runtime suspends.  I think we do not support that yet but it could
> be added to drivers/pci/pcie/portdrv*.
>
> A hotplug port is expected to signal PDC and DLLSC interrupts even
> when in D3hot.  At least that's our experience with Thunderbolt.
> To support hotplug interrupts in D3cold, some external mechanism
> (such as a PME) is necessary to wake up the port on hotplug.
> This is also supported with recent Thunderbolt systems.
>
> Because we've seen various incompatibilities when runtime suspending
> PCIe ports, certain conditions must be satisfied for runtime PM
> to be enabled.  They're encoded in pci_bridge_d3_possible().
> Generally, hotplug ports only runtime suspend if they belong to
> a Thunderbolt controller or if the ACPI platform explicitly allows
> runtime PM (through presence of a _PR3 method or a device property).
> Non-hotplug ports runtime suspend if the BIOS is newer than 2015
> (as specified by DMI).
>
> Obviously, this policy is very x86-focussed because both Thunderbolt
> and DMI are only really a thing on x86.  That's about to change though
> because Apple's new arm64-based Macs have Thunderbolt integrated into
> the SoC and arm64 SoCs are making inroads in the datacenter, which is
> an important use case for PCIe hotplug (hot-swappable NVMe drives).
> So we may have to amend pci_bridge_d3_possible() to whitelist
> PCIe ports for runtime PM on specific arches or systems.

Thanks for all this very useful information!

My interpretation for the mediatek situation:

  - I assume this patch leaves or puts the Root Port in D3cold if no
    downstream devices are present.

  - I don't see any support for PME or similar mechanisms to signal a
    hot-add while the RP is in D3cold.

  - So I assume you don't support hot-add if the slot was empty at
    boot and that's acceptable for your platform.