On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 02:19:41PM +0000, Sean Young wrote: > Hello Uwe, > > On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 08:25:10PM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > > On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 05:34:44PM +0000, Sean Young wrote: > > > What real life uses-cases are there for round down? If you want to round > > > down, is there any need for round up? > > > > The scenario I have in mind is for driving a motor. I have to admit > > however that usually the period doesn't matter much and it's the > > duty_cycle that defines the motor's speed. So for this case the > > conservative behaviour is round-down to not make the motor run faster > > than expected. > > I am reading here that for driving motors, only the duty cycle matters, > not the period. There is an upper limit (usually around 1 ms) for the period, but if you choose 0.1 ms or 0.001 ms doesn't matter much AFAICT. @Thierry: Do you have further use cases in mind? > > For other usecases (fan, backlight, LED) exactness typically doesn't > > matter that much. > > So, the use-cases you have are driving motor, fan, backlight, and led. > And in all these cases the exact Hz does not matter. > > The only uses case where the exact Hz does matter is pwm-ir-tx. > > So, I gather there are no use-cases for round-down. Yes, should round-down > be needed, then this is more difficult to implement if the driver always > does a round-closest. But, since there is no reason to have round-down, > this is all academic. > > Your policy of forcing new pwm drivers to use round-down is breaking > pwm-ir-tx. So you're indeed suggesting that the "right" rounding strategy for lowlevel drivers should be: - Use the period length closest to the requested period (in doubt round down?) - With the chosen period length use the biggest duty_cycle not bigger than the requested duty_cycle. While this seems technically fine I think for maintenance this is a nightmare. My preference would be to stick to the rounding strategy we used so far (i.e.: - Use the biggest period length not bigger than the requested period - With the chosen period length use the biggest duty_cycle not bigger than the requested duty_cycle. ) and for pwm-ir-tx add support to the PWM API to still make it possible (and easy) to select the best setting. The reasons why I think that this rounding-down strategy is the best are (in order of importance): - It is easier to implement correctly [1] - Same rounding method for period and duty cycle - most drivers already do this (I think) The (IMHO nice) result would then mean: - All consumers can get the setting they want; and - Code in lowlevel drivers is simple and the complexity is in common code and so a single place. And it would also allow the pwm-ir-tx driver to notice if the PWM to be used can for example only support frequencies under 400 kHz. Best regards Uwe [1] Consider a PWM with a parent frequency of 66 MHz, to select the period you can pick an integer divider "div" resulting in the period 4096 / (pclk * d). So the obvious implementation for round-nearest would be: pclk = clk_get_rate(myclk); div = DIV_ROUND_CLOSEST(NSEC_PER_SEC * 4096, targetperiod * pclk); , right? With targetperiod = 2641 ns this picks div = 23 and so a period of 2698.2872200263505 ns (delta = 57.2872200263505 ns). The optimal divider however is div = 24. (implemented period = 2585.8585858585857 ns, delta = 55.14141414141448 ns) For round-down the correct implementation is: pclk = clk_get_rate(myclk); div = DIV_ROUND_UP(NSEC_PER_SEC * 4096, targetperiod * pclk); Exercise for the reader: Come up with a correct implementation for "round-nearest" and compare its complexity to the round-down code. -- Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König | Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |