* [LSFMMBPF 2021] A status update
@ 2020-12-04 15:48 Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2020-12-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS, linux-ext4, Linux FS Devel, bpf, linux-xfs,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, linux-block, linux-scsi, linux-mm,
	linux-nvme

Hello,

We on the program committee hope everybody has been able to stay safe and
healthy during this challenging time, and look forward to being able to see all
of you in person again when it is safe.

The current plans for LSFMMBPF 2021 are to schedule an in person conference in
H2 (after June) of 2021.  The tentative plan is to use the same hotel that we
had planned to use for 2020, as we still have contracts with them.  However
clearly that is not set in stone.  The Linux Foundation has done a wonderful job
of working with us to formulate a plan and figure out the logistics that will
work the best for everybody, I really can't thank them enough for their help.

Once we have a finalized date we will redo the CFP emails, probably coming out
March time frame.  If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to
respond to this email, or email me or any of the other PC members privately and
we will do our best to answer your questions.  Rest assured the general timing
of the conference is going to take into account the wide variety of schedules
that we are dealing with, and we will do our best to come up with something that
works for as many as people as possible.

We hope that you and your families continue to stay safe and health.  Thank you
on behalf of the program committee:

	Josef Bacik (Filesystems)
	Amir Goldstein (Filesystems)
	Martin K. Petersen (Storage)
	Omar Sandoval (Storage)
	Michal Hocko (MM)
	Dan Williams (MM)
	Alexei Starovoitov (BPF)
	Daniel Borkmann (BPF)

* Re: [LSFMMBPF 2021] A status update
@ 2020-12-12 17:29 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2020-12-12 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik
  Cc: Btrfs BTRFS, linux-ext4, Linux FS Devel, bpf, linux-xfs,

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:48:53AM -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
> We on the program committee hope everybody has been able to stay safe and
> healthy during this challenging time, and look forward to being able to see
> all of you in person again when it is safe.
>
> The current plans for LSFMMBPF 2021 are to schedule an in person conference
> in H2 (after June) of 2021.  The tentative plan is to use the same hotel
> that we had planned to use for 2020, as we still have contracts with them.
> However clearly that is not set in stone.  The Linux Foundation has done a
> wonderful job of working with us to formulate a plan and figure out the
> logistics that will work the best for everybody, I really can't thank them
> enough for their help.

Thank you all for doing your best in the face of this disruption.  I
really appreciate all the work you're putting in, and I can't wait to
see you all again in person.

I hosted a Zoom call yesterday on the topic of Page Folios, and uploaded
the video.  There was interest expressed in the call on doing a follow-up
call on the topic of GUP (get_user_pages and friends).  It would probably
also be good to have meetings on other topics.

I don't want this to be seen in any way as taking away from LSFMMBPF.
I see Zoom calls as an interim solution to not having face-to-face
meetings.

I'd like to solicit feedback from this group on:

 - Time of day.  There is no good time that suits everyone around
   the world.  With developers in basically every inhabited time zone, the
   call will definitely take place in the middle of somebody's night, and
   during somebody else's normal family time.  Publishing the recordings
   helps ameliorate some of this, but I feel we should shift the time
   around.  Having it at the same time of day helps people fit it into
   their schedule of other meetings (and meals), but I think the benefits
   of allowing more people to participate live outweighs the costs.
 - Schedule.  Friday's probably a bad day to have it, as it ends up
   being Saturday for some people.  It can move around the week too.
   Also, probably wise to not have it over Christmas as most developers
   have that period as family time.
 - Topics.  I'm sure there's no shortage of things to discuss!  I'm
   happy to organise meetings for people even on topics I have no direct
   interest in.

And most urgently, when should we have the GUP meeting?  On the call,
I suggested Friday the 8th of January, but I'm happy to set something
up for next week if we'd like to talk more urgently.  Please propose a
date & time.  I know we have people in Portugal and Nova Scotia who need
to be involved live, so a time friendly to UTC+0 and UTC-4 would be good.

Thanks!

* Re: [LSFMMBPF 2021] A status update
@ 2020-12-15 12:23   ` Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2020-12-15 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox
  Cc: Josef Bacik, Btrfs BTRFS, linux-ext4, Linux FS Devel, bpf,
	linux-xfs, Linux Kernel Mailing List, linux-block, linux-scsi,
	linux-mm, linux-nvme

On Sat 12-12-20 17:29:57, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:48:53AM -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
> > We on the program committee hope everybody has been able to stay safe and
> > healthy during this challenging time, and look forward to being able to see
> > all of you in person again when it is safe.
> >
> > The current plans for LSFMMBPF 2021 are to schedule an in person conference
> > in H2 (after June) of 2021.  The tentative plan is to use the same hotel
> > that we had planned to use for 2020, as we still have contracts with them.
> > However clearly that is not set in stone.  The Linux Foundation has done a
> > wonderful job of working with us to formulate a plan and figure out the
> > logistics that will work the best for everybody, I really can't thank them
> > enough for their help.
>
> Thank you all for doing your best in the face of this disruption.  I
> really appreciate all the work you're putting in, and I can't wait to
> see you all again in person.
>
> I hosted a Zoom call yesterday on the topic of Page Folios, and uploaded
> the video.

Thanks for organizing this. I couldn't attent directly but I have
watched the video. I think this was a useful meeting.

> There was interest expressed in the call on doing a follow-up
> call on the topic of GUP (get_user_pages and friends).  It would probably
> also be good to have meetings on other topics.

I hope I will have time to join this one.

> I don't want this to be seen in any way as taking away from LSFMMBPF.
> I see Zoom calls as an interim solution to not having face-to-face
> meetings.

Agreed!

> I'd like to solicit feedback from this group on:
>
>  - Time of day.  There is no good time that suits everyone around
>    the world.  With developers in basically every inhabited time zone, the
>    call will definitely take place in the middle of somebody's night, and
>    during somebody else's normal family time.  Publishing the recordings
>    helps ameliorate some of this, but I feel we should shift the time
>    around.  Having it at the same time of day helps people fit it into
>    their schedule of other meetings (and meals), but I think the benefits
>    of allowing more people to participate live outweighs the costs.

Hard question without any good answer. You can rotate preferred timezone
which should spread the suffering.

>  - Schedule.  Friday's probably a bad day to have it, as it ends up
>    being Saturday for some people.  It can move around the week too.
>    Also, probably wise to not have it over Christmas as most developers
>    have that period as family time.

Yes, Friday tends to be not great. I think mid week should work better
as the overalap

>  - Topics.  I'm sure there's no shortage of things to discuss!  I'm
>    happy to organise meetings for people even on topics I have no direct
>    interest in.

Thanks for organizing this. I am pretty sure poeple will land on topics
either in the call or over email.

> And most urgently, when should we have the GUP meeting? On the call,
> I suggested Friday the 8th of January, but I'm happy to set something
> up for next week if we'd like to talk more urgently.

I am unlikely to be able to join before the end of year so if you ask
me.

Thanks again and fingers crossed we can actually have a face to face
meeting sometimes during next year.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

* Re: [LSFMMBPF 2021] A status update
@ 2020-12-15 13:43     ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2020-12-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Hocko, Matthew Wilcox
  Cc: Josef Bacik, Btrfs BTRFS, linux-ext4, Linux FS Devel, bpf,

On 12/15/20 1:23 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Sat 12-12-20 17:29:57, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:48:53AM -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
>>> We on the program committee hope everybody has been able to stay safe and
>>> healthy during this challenging time, and look forward to being able to see
>>> all of you in person again when it is safe.
>>>
>>> The current plans for LSFMMBPF 2021 are to schedule an in person conference
>>> in H2 (after June) of 2021.  The tentative plan is to use the same hotel
>>> that we had planned to use for 2020, as we still have contracts with them.
>>> However clearly that is not set in stone.  The Linux Foundation has done a
>>> wonderful job of working with us to formulate a plan and figure out the
>>> logistics that will work the best for everybody, I really can't thank them
>>> enough for their help.
>>
>> Thank you all for doing your best in the face of this disruption.  I
>> really appreciate all the work you're putting in, and I can't wait to
>> see you all again in person.
>>
>> I hosted a Zoom call yesterday on the topic of Page Folios, and uploaded
>> the video.
>
> Thanks for organizing this. I couldn't attent directly but I have
> watched the video. I think this was a useful meeting.
>
>> There was interest expressed in the call on doing a follow-up
>> call on the topic of GUP (get_user_pages and friends).  It would probably
>> also be good to have meetings on other topics.
>
> I hope I will have time to join this one.
>
>> I don't want this to be seen in any way as taking away from LSFMMBPF.
>> I see Zoom calls as an interim solution to not having face-to-face
>> meetings.
>
> Agreed!
>
>> I'd like to solicit feedback from this group on:
>>
>>   - Time of day.  There is no good time that suits everyone around
>>     the world.  With developers in basically every inhabited time zone, the
>>     call will definitely take place in the middle of somebody's night, and
>>     during somebody else's normal family time.  Publishing the recordings
>>     helps ameliorate some of this, but I feel we should shift the time
>>     around.  Having it at the same time of day helps people fit it into
>>     their schedule of other meetings (and meals), but I think the benefits
>>     of allowing more people to participate live outweighs the costs.
>
> Hard question without any good answer. You can rotate preferred timezone
> which should spread the suffering.

What I found useful is to have a fixed schedule for the actual talk, but
keep the recording online for an extended time (say 24h). And require
the presenters to be available in a break-out room for any questions for
an extended time, too.
That way any participant can choose which time would suit him best to
watch the presentation, _and_ being reasonably sure that he can fire up
questions later on.

>>   - Schedule.  Friday's probably a bad day to have it, as it ends up
>>     being Saturday for some people.  It can move around the week too.
>>     Also, probably wise to not have it over Christmas as most developers
>>     have that period as family time.
>
> Yes, Friday tends to be not great. I think mid week should work better
> as the overalap
>
>>   - Topics.  I'm sure there's no shortage of things to discuss!  I'm
>>     happy to organise meetings for people even on topics I have no direct
>>     interest in.
>
> Thanks for organizing this. I am pretty sure poeple will land on topics
> either in the call or over email.
>
>> And most urgently, when should we have the GUP meeting? On the call,
>> I suggested Friday the 8th of January, but I'm happy to set something
>> up for next week if we'd like to talk more urgently.
>
> I am unlikely to be able to join before the end of year so if you ask
> me.
>
> Thanks again and fingers crossed we can actually have a face to face
> meeting sometimes during next year.

I'd side with Michal here; having something this year will be
challenging, as quite some ppl (myself included) will be on holiday.
Rather move it to start of next year; mid-February would be a good time,
giving enough room to organize etc.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688

* Re: [LSFMMBPF 2021] A status update
@ 2021-01-05 20:30   ` Joao Martins
From: Joao Martins @ 2021-01-05 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox
  Cc: Btrfs BTRFS, Josef Bacik, linux-ext4, Linux FS Devel, bpf,

On 12/12/20 5:29 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> And most urgently, when should we have the GUP meeting?  On the call,
> I suggested Friday the 8th of January, but I'm happy to set something
> up for next week if we'd like to talk more urgently.  Please propose a
> date & time.  I know we have people in Portugal and Nova Scotia who need
> to be involved live, so a time friendly to UTC+0 and UTC-4 would be good.

FWIW, I would suggest the same time as you had for PageFolio (18h GMT / 10pm PT / 13h ET)
given it can cover many tz in a not-so-bothersome time.

But instead of Jan 8 perhaps better for next week (Jan 15) in case folks
are still in new year holidays (given we are in the first week of the year).

	Joao