On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 09:57:40AM +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote: > On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 06:11:24PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote: > > > Do you need a tag to pull from? > > It'd be nice but not essential. > Why do you want/need this? Having these changes in your tree is good, > but what about other coding style cleanups that I will end up applying > over time before the 5.12-rc1 merge window opens? Are you wanting to > take the moved driver in your tree, or something else? I want to apply the regulator driver so I stop being sent this patch series which will help keep my backlog more manageable. > Traditionally moving drivers out of staging can be done 2 ways: > - all happens in the staging tree, I take an ack from the > subsystem maintainer that this is ok to do. > - A new driver enters the "real" subsystem tree, and then I > delete the driver in the staging tree. This doesn't preserve > history as well (not at all), but can be easier for trees that > move quickly (like networking.) The whole reason the driver is in the staging tree is that Mauro has a requirement to do things in a way that preserves history and so won't send any non-incremental patches. > Which ever works for you is fine with me, but relying on the code to > stay "not touched" in my tree after you pull it almost never happens due > to the number of drive-by coding style cleanups that end up in the > staging tree every week. I'm sure someone can work out the conflicts if they're going to happen.