From: Kent Gibson <warthog618@gmail.com>
To: Dipen Patel <dipenp@nvidia.com>
Cc: Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"thierry.reding@gmail.com" <thierry.reding@gmail.com>,
	Jon Hunter <jonathanh@nvidia.com>,
	Bartosz Golaszewski <bgolaszewski@baylibre.com>,
	"open list:GPIO SUBSYSTEM" <linux-gpio@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-tegra <linux-tegra@vger.kernel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	Richard Cochran <richardcochran@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GTE - The hardware timestamping engine
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:32:08 +0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 01:21:46PM -0700, Dipen Patel wrote:
> [...]
> >> you can hook into the GPIO driver if need be, we can
> >> figure out the gpio_chip for a certain line for sure.
> >>

> > Firstly, line_event_timestamp() is called from the IRQ handler context.
> > That is obviously more constraining than if it were only called from the
> > IRQ thread. If the GTE is providing the timestamp then that could be
> > put off until the IRQ thread.
> > So you probably want to refactor line_event_timestamp() into two flavours
> > - one for IRQ handler that returns 0 if HARDWARE is set, and the other for
> > IRQ thread, where there is already a fallback call to
> > line_event_timestamp() for the nested threaded interrupt case, that gets
> > the timestamp from the GTE.
> >

> My follow-up concerns on both Linus's and Kent's feedback:
>
> 1.  Please correct me if I am wrong, lineevent in the gpiolib* is only
>     serves the userspace clients.
> 1.a What about kernel drivers wanting to use this feature for monitoring its
>     GPIO lines, see gyroscope example somewhere below. In that regards,
>     lineevent implementation is not sufficient.
> 1.b Are you also implying to extend lineevent implementation to kernel
>     drivers?
> 2.  For both above cases 1.a and 1.b, gpiolib* then would become holder
>     of all the GTE related datastructures per userspace or kernel clients,
>     is this acceptable? In another words, gpilib-cdev framework will become
>     client to GTE framework on behalf of those drivers. I believe we
>     can embed gte related data to per lineevent structures.
> 3.  I believe Kent touched on this, but double confirming, there will be a
>     use-case or scenario where in-kernel clients will want to block until
>     the next timestaming event. We need to cover that scenario as well.
> 4.  What about kernel drivers wanting monitor certain IRQ lines? For example,
>     gycroscope drivers wants to monitor i2c IRQ line for transaction complete.
> 4.a Or you are suggesting all the GPIOs related requests will go through
>     gpiolib-cdev --> gte framework ---> gte driver and for the rests, it
>     it will be "some kernel driver" ---> gte framework --> gte driver.
>
> I am assuming there will be gte framework/infrastructure for all above cases.
>
> > But my primary concern here would be keeping the two event FIFOs (GTE and
> > cdev) in sync.  Masking and unmasking in hardware and the kernel needs to
> > be coordinated to prevent races that would result in sync loss.
> > So this probably needs to be configured in the GTE driver via the irq
> > path, rather than pinctrl?
> >
> > Is every event detected by the GTE guaranteed to trigger an interrupt in
> > the kernel?
>
> GTE interrupt will be triggered when its internal FIFO meets configurable
> thresholds, which could be set to 1 for example, in that case will trigger
> interrupt for every event detected.
>
> Can you elaborate more on pinctrl part?
>

> > How to handle GTE FIFO overflows?  Can they be detected or prevented?
> >
> Currently, there is no hardware support to detect the overflow, it can be

Firstly, I'm not suggesting that other kernel modules would use the
cdev lineevents, only that they would use the same mechanism that
gpiolib-cdev would use to timestamp the lineevents for userspace.

As to that mechanism, my current thinking is that the approach of
associating GTE event FIFO entries with particular physical IRQ events is
problematic, as keeping the two in sync would be difficult, if not
impossible.

A more robust approach is to ignore the physical IRQs and instead service
the GTE event FIFO, generating IRQs from those events in software -
essentially a pre-timestamped IRQ.  The IRQ framework could provide the
timestamping functionality, equivalent to line_event_timestamp(), for
the IRQ handler/thread and in this case provide the timestamp from the GTE
event.

So this would be an IRQ feature of which the gpiolib would just be another
client.  But I don't know enough about the IRQ framework to do more
than just float the idea - I'm already way out over my skis here.

Btw, the pinctrl API is what the gpiolib uses to control the GPIO aspects
of physical hardware such as direction, value, bias and the like.
Almost certainly not relevant to this feature, so forget I mentioned it.

Cheers,
Kent.