From: Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@redhat.com>
To: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org>
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>
Subject: Re: linux-next: objtool hang/loop?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 11:34:19 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 07:25:21PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Hi Josh & Peter,
>
> Yesterday (2021-07-27), one of my x86_64 randconfig build ran for
> over 2 hours (it's a slow core i5 laptop and spinning rust media).
> I killed it and reran the .config file today on linux-next-20210728.
> I killed this one after 30 minutes on its last message:
>   OBJTOOL vmlinux.o
>
> This is a .config with # CONFIG_MODULES is not set.
> vmlinux.o is 253 MB in size.
> I see that using verbose make (V=1) won't help me any here.
>
> The problematic (if it is a problem: maybe I didn't wait long
> enough?) .config file is attached.  The gzipped vmlinux.o file is at:
>   http://www.infradead.org/~rdunlap/vmlinux.o.gz
>
> If there is a problem, I can test any patches...

Hi Randy,

I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have a lot of RAM.  I ran

  /usr/bin/time -v tools/objtool/objtool check --noinstr --vmlinux --no-fp --uaccess vmlinux.o

It showed a max RSS of 6.5GB.

Can you try this patch from Peter?  It halves the memory usage.

  https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20210507164925.GC54801@worktop.programming.kicks-ass.net

--
Josh