* Suspicious pattern for use of function xt_register_template()
@ 2021-08-23 17:01 Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-08-23 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Jozsef Kadlecsik, Florian Westphal,
	netfilter-devel, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Netdev, coreteam,
	clang-built-linux

Dear Florian, dear netfilter maintainers,

Commit fdacd57c79b ("netfilter: x_tables: never register tables by
default") on linux-next
introduces the function xt_register_template() and in all cases but
one, the calls to that function are followed by:

    if (ret < 0)
        return ret;

All these checks were also added with the commit above.

In the one case, for iptable_mangle_init() in
./net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_mangle.c, this pattern was not followed.
This makes this ret assignment in this function a Dead Store and
hence, clang-analyzer warns about that.

Are we missing here an early return for a negative return value as
well, or is this case for iptable_mangle_init() in
./net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_mangle.c special?

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: Suspicious pattern for use of function xt_register_template()
@ 2021-08-23 19:10 ` Florian Westphal
From: Florian Westphal @ 2021-08-23 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn
  Cc: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Jozsef Kadlecsik, Florian Westphal,

Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Florian, dear netfilter maintainers,
>
> Commit fdacd57c79b ("netfilter: x_tables: never register tables by
> default") on linux-next
> introduces the function xt_register_template() and in all cases but
> one, the calls to that function are followed by:
>
>     if (ret < 0)
>         return ret;
>
> All these checks were also added with the commit above.
>
> In the one case, for iptable_mangle_init() in
> ./net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_mangle.c, this pattern was not followed.

Thats a bug, the error test is missing.

* Re: Suspicious pattern for use of function xt_register_template()
@ 2021-08-23 20:28   ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-08-23 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Westphal
  Cc: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Jozsef Kadlecsik, netfilter-devel,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 9:10 PM Florian Westphal <fw@strlen.de> wrote:

> Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Florian, dear netfilter maintainers,
> >
> > Commit fdacd57c79b ("netfilter: x_tables: never register tables by
> > default") on linux-next
> > introduces the function xt_register_template() and in all cases but
> > one, the calls to that function are followed by:
> >
> >     if (ret < 0)
> >         return ret;
> >
> > All these checks were also added with the commit above.
> >
> > In the one case, for iptable_mangle_init() in
> > ./net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_mangle.c, this pattern was not followed.
>
> Thats a bug, the error test is missing.

I send out a patch addressing the issue, please pick it:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210823202729.2009-1-lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com/

Thanks,

Lukas