From: Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
	George Burgess IV <gbiv@google.com>,
	linux-hardening@vger.kernel.org, llvm@lists.linux.dev,
	Miguel Ojeda <ojeda@kernel.org>,
	Nathan Chancellor <nathan@kernel.org>,
	Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] FORTIFY_SOURCE updates for v5.18-rc1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:01:42 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 12:40:18PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 12:29 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > Because if all the compiler issues and warnings have been sorted out,
> > it sounds to me like the compile-time side could/should be done
> > unconditionally if there are no runtime downsides.

Yeah, I'd like to do this. The way the header files are currently split
up makes this slightly weird, and there have been issues with some
arch/compiler combinations, so it's not quite as cut-and-dried as I'd
like. I'll investigate what it could look like.

> .. or do the existing compiler warnings for the builtins already cover
> all cases, and the only reason the fortify-source code has
> compile-time warnings is that the option takes over the builtins?

This mostly depends on the compiler version, and they often overlap, but
the new FORTIFY logic tends to be more strict (where possible) and is more
consistent; I view the two diagnostic capabilities as complementary.

--
Kees Cook