From: Segher Boessenkool <segher@kernel.crashing.org>
To: Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>
Cc: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>,
	Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de>,
	Nathan Chancellor <nathan@kernel.org>, x86-ml <x86@kernel.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	llvm@lists.linux.dev, Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@redhat.com>,
	linux-toolchains@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: clang memcpy calls
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:22:20 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi!

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:52:54AM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 10:12:38AM -0500, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > The compiler isn't assuming anything about asan.  The compiler generates
> > its code without any consideration of what asan will or will not do.
> > The burden of making things work is on asan.
>
> I think we're talking past each other here, so let me be more precise. :)
>
> The key thing is that when the user passes `-fsantize=address`, instrumentation
> is added by (a part of) the compiler. That instrumentation is added under some
> assumptions as to how the compiler as a whole will behave.
>
> With that in mind, the question is how is __attribute__((no_sanitize_address))
> intended to work when considering all the usual expectations around how the
> compiler can play with memcpy and similar?

The attribute is about how the *current* function is instrumented, not
about anything called by this function.  This is clearly documented:
'no_sanitize_address'
'no_address_safety_analysis'
     The 'no_sanitize_address' attribute on functions is used to inform
     the compiler that it should not instrument memory accesses in the
     function when compiling with the '-fsanitize=address' option.  The
     'no_address_safety_analysis' is a deprecated alias of the
     'no_sanitize_address' attribute, new code should use
     'no_sanitize_address'.

> > The compiler should not do anything differently here if it uses asan.
> > The address sanitizer and the memcpy function implementation perhaps
> > have to cooperate somehow, or asan needs more smarts.  This needs to
> > happen no matter what, to support other things calling memcpy, say,
> > assembler code.
>
> I appreciate where you're coming from here, but I think you're approaching the
> problem sideways.

I am stating facts, I am not trying to solve your problem there.  It
seemed to me (and still does) that you didn't grasp all facts here.

> We need to define *what the semantics are* so that we can actually solve the
> problem, e.g. is a memcpy implementation expected to be instrumented or not?

That is up to the memcpy implementation itself, of course.

> > GCC *requires* memcpy to be the standard memcpy always (i.e. to have the
> > standard-specified semantics).  This means that it will have the same
> > semantics as __builtin_memcpy always, and either or not be a call to an
> > external function.  It can also create calls to it out of thin air.
>
> I understand all of that.

And still you want us to do something that is impossible under those
existing constraints :-(

If you want the external memcpy called by modules A, B, C to not be
instrumented, you have to link A, B, and C against an uninstrumented
memcpy.  This is something the kernel will have to do, the compiler has
no say in how the kernel is linked together.

Segher