Hi Stefan, On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 01:30:02PM +0200, Stefan Wahren wrote: > Am 15.09.22 um 09:54 schrieb Maxime Ripard: > > On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 08:26:55PM +0200, Stefan Wahren wrote: > > > Am 14.09.22 um 20:14 schrieb Stephen Boyd: > > > > Quoting Stefan Wahren (2022-09-14 11:09:04) > > > > > Am 14.09.22 um 20:05 schrieb Stephen Boyd: > > > > > > Quoting Stefan Wahren (2022-09-14 10:45:48) > > > > > > > Am 14.09.22 um 17:50 schrieb Stephen Boyd: > > > > > > > > Furthermore, I wonder if even that part needs to be implemented. Why > > > > > > > > not make a direct call to rpi_firmware_property() and get the max rate? > > > > > > > > All of that can live in the drm driver. Making it a generic API that > > > > > > > > takes a 'struct clk' means that it looks like any clk can be passed, > > > > > > > > when that isn't true. It would be better to restrict it to the one use > > > > > > > > case so that the scope of the problem doesn't grow. I understand that it > > > > > > > > duplicates a few lines of code, but that looks like a fair tradeoff vs. > > > > > > > > exposing an API that can be used for other clks in the future. > > > > > > > it would be nice to keep all the Rpi specific stuff out of the DRM > > > > > > > driver, since there more users of it. > > > > > > Instead of 'all' did you mean 'any'? > > > > > yes > > > > Why? > > > This firmware is written specific for the Raspberry Pi and not stable from > > > interface point of view. So i'm afraid that the DRM driver is only usable > > > for the Raspberry Pi at the end with all these board specific dependencies. > > I'm open for suggestions there, but is there any other bcm2711 device > > that we support upstream? > > I meant the driver as a whole. According to the vc4 binding there are three > compatibles bcm2835-vc4, cygnus-vc4 and bcm2711-vc5. Unfortunately i don't > have access to any of these Cygnus boards, so i cannot do any regression > tests or provide more information to your question. I don't have access to these boards either, and none of them are upstream, so I'm not sure what we can do to improve their support by then. > > If not, I'm not sure what the big deal is at this point. Chances are the > > DRM driver won't work as is on a different board. > > > > Plus, such a board wouldn't be using config.txt at all, so this whole > > dance to find what was enabled or not wouldn't be used at all. > > My concern is that we reach some point that we need to say this kernel > version requires this firmware version. In the Raspberry Pi OS world this is > not a problem, but not all distributions has this specific knowledge. The recent mess with the Intel GPU firmware (https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/CAPM=9txdca1VnRpp-oNLXpBc2UWq3=ceeim5+Gw4N9tAriRY6A@mail.gmail.com/) makes it fairly clear that such a situation should be considered a regression and fixed. So it might be a situation that the downstream tree will end up in, but it's not something we will allow to happen upstream. > > > Emma invested a lot of time to make this open source and now it looks that > > > like that more and more functionality moves back to firmware. > > What functionality has been moved back to firmware? > > This wasn't a offense against your great work. Just a slight warning that > some functions of clock or power management moved back into firmware. We > should watch out, but maybe i emote here. Yeah, I guess we'll want to consider it on a case per case basis but it's not like we merged fkms either :) Maxime