From: Conor Dooley <conor.dooley@microchip.com>
To: Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>
Cc: Yingkun Meng <mengyingkun@loongson.cn>,
	Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org>,
	<krzysztof.kozlowski+dt@linaro.org>, <robh+dt@kernel.org>,
	<conor+dt@kernel.org>, <lgirdwood@gmail.com>,
	<devicetree@vger.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	<alsa-devel@alsa-project.org>, <loongarch@lists.linux.dev>,
	<loongson-kernel@lists.loongnix.cn>
Subject: Re: [ PATCH v2 3/3] ASoC: dt-bindings: Add support for Loongson audio card
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:29:33 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 02:54:36PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 01:46:41PM +0100, Conor Dooley wrote:
>
> > So it is entirely a software construct? Why does it need a dt-binding
> > then? Your commit message says the controller is present on the device!
>
> A typical embedded (or power efficient laptop) audio design will consist
> of multiple devices connected together (frequently via non-control
> buses) together with system level passive components and plastics which
> are also important to the audio configuration.  A card binding describes
> the interconections between the devices in the system and provides
> identification information for the audio subsystem.  This system level
> audio integration is a physical thing that can be pointed at that
> requires real software control.

The bit you were responding to with that was a disingenuous question.
Probably not fair of me to ask one of a non-native speaker like that,
when all I wanted to know was whether it was appropriate not to add
a more specific compatible, or whether this was something invariant.

> Like I said before please look at the existing audio card bindings.

Yah, ofc I did that to see if there were other similar bindings that
used specific compatibles...