* Request for documentation of PID handling functions
@ 2008-07-28 22:59 David Howells
From: David Howells @ 2008-07-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov; +Cc: dhowells, jmorris, linux-kernel

Hi Pavel,

Can you please provide documentation for the PID handling functions you
supplied in commit:

	7af5729474b5b8ad385adadab78d6e723e7655a3

In particular I'd like to know what locks are required when.  I'm trying to
determine if in this piece of code:

		read_lock(&tasklist_lock);
		ret = 0;
		if (pid != task_pid_vnr(current))
			ret = -EPERM;
		read_unlock(&tasklist_lock);

the lock of tasklist_lock is necessary.

David

* Re: Request for documentation of PID handling functions
@ 2008-07-30  2:04 ` Pavel Emelyanov
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2008-07-30  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Howells; +Cc: Oleg Nesterov, jmorris, linux-kernel

David Howells wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Can you please provide documentation for the PID handling functions you
> supplied in commit:
>
> 	7af5729474b5b8ad385adadab78d6e723e7655a3
>
> In particular I'd like to know what locks are required when.  I'm trying to
> determine if in this piece of code:
>
> 		read_lock(&tasklist_lock);
> 		ret = 0;
> 		if (pid != task_pid_vnr(current))
> 			ret = -EPERM;
> 		read_unlock(&tasklist_lock);
>
> the lock of tasklist_lock is necessary.

The RCU protection is enough to get pids from tasks. However, the pids
are detached under the tasklist lock write-locked, so provided you're
*already* sitting under it the RCU is excessive.

However, Oleg pointed me out some time ago, that in some cases RCU-only
protection was not enough in some cases, so I put him in Cc.

@ 2008-07-30  9:56   ` Oleg Nesterov
From: Oleg Nesterov @ 2008-07-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov; +Cc: David Howells, jmorris, linux-kernel

On 07/30, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:

> David Howells wrote:
> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > Can you please provide documentation for the PID handling functions you
> > supplied in commit:
> >
> > 	7af5729474b5b8ad385adadab78d6e723e7655a3
> >
> > In particular I'd like to know what locks are required when.  I'm trying to
> > determine if in this piece of code:
> >
> > 		read_lock(&tasklist_lock);
> > 		ret = 0;
> > 		if (pid != task_pid_vnr(current))
> > 			ret = -EPERM;
> > 		read_unlock(&tasklist_lock);
> >
> > the lock of tasklist_lock is necessary.
>
> The RCU protection is enough to get pids from tasks. However, the pids
> are detached under the tasklist lock write-locked, so provided you're
> *already* sitting under it the RCU is excessive.

Yes, tasklist OR rcu is enough.

But, since the task == current, the code above doesn't need any locks at all.

Unless this code runs after exit_notify() of course, in that case we need
rcu/tasklist and task_pid_vnr(current) can return 0.

Oleg.