From: Rolf Eike Beer <eb@emlix.com>
To: Cristian Ciocaltea <cristian.ciocaltea@gmail.com>
Cc: Manivannan Sadhasivam <mani@kernel.org>,
	Lee Jones <lee.jones@linaro.org>,
	linux-actions@lists.infradead.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: atc260x has broken locking
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 08:36:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2022, 00:14:03 CET schrieb Cristian Ciocaltea:
> Hi Eike,
>
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 12:07:48PM +0100, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > When looking at this functions I found the locking to be broken for the
> > atomic case (comments stripped):
> >
> > static void regmap_lock_mutex(void *__mutex)
> > {
> >
> > 	struct mutex *mutex = __mutex;
> >
> > 	if (system_state > SYSTEM_RUNNING && irqs_disabled())
> >
> > 		mutex_trylock(mutex);
> >
> > 	else
> >
> > 		mutex_lock(mutex);
> >
> > }
> >
> > static void regmap_unlock_mutex(void *__mutex)
> > {
> >
> > 	struct mutex *mutex = __mutex;
> >
> > 	mutex_unlock(mutex);
> >
> > }
> >
> > When the mutex is already locked and the atomic context is hit then the
> > lock will not be acquired, this is never noticed, and it afterwards is
> > unlocked anyway.
> >
> > The comment says this is inspired from i2c_in_atomic_xfer_mode() to detect
> > the atomic case, but the important caller __i2c_lock_bus_helper()
> > actually does check and pass on the return value of mutex_trylock(),
> > which is missing here.
> This is indeed a limitation of the current implementation because the
> main goal was to offer initial support for SBC poweroff and reboot
> use cases, which were the only cases where the atomic context kicks in.
>
> Hence it was more important to make sure those operations are triggered
> rather than failing due to an error condition which is hard to be
> handled properly - e.g. getting a behaviour similar with the '-EGAIN'
> scenario in the I2C implementation.

Which makes sense as the unlock is in fact never reached then I guess because
the system reboots or shuts down before. Maybe this should end up as comment
somewhere in the code.

> Out of pure curiosity, on which hardware do you plan to use this, if you
> haven't already?

On no hardware. I annotated mutex_trylock() as __must_check and this was the
only place that broke the build afterwards.

Eike
--
Rolf Eike Beer, emlix GmbH, https://www.emlix.com
Fon +49 551 30664-0, Fax +49 551 30664-11

emlix - smart embedded open source