After a few more weeks of digging, I have come to the tentative conclusion that either the XHCI driver, or the USB sound driver, or both, fail to handle USB errors correctly. I have some questions at the bottom, after a (brief-ish) explanation of exactly what seems to go wrong. TL;DR: arecord from a misbehaving device can hang forever after a USB error, due to poll on /dev/snd/timer never returning. The details: under some mysterious circumstances, the PCM290x family sound chips can send more data than expected during an isochronous transfer, leading to a babble error. Those circumstances seem to in part depend on the USB host controller and/or the electrical environment, since the chips work just fine for most people. Receiving data past the end of the isochronous transfer window scheduled for a device results in the XHCI controller throwing a babble error, which moves the endpoint into halted state. This is followed by the host controller software sending a reset endpoint command, and moving the endpoint into stopped state, as specified on pages 164-165 of the XHCI specification. However, the USB sound driver seems to have no idea that this error happened. The function retire_capture_urb looks at the status of each isochronous frame, but seems to be under the assumption that the sound device just keeps on running. The function snd_complete_urb seems to only detect that the device is not running if usb_submit_urb returns a failure. err = usb_submit_urb(urb, GFP_ATOMIC); if (err == 0) return; usb_audio_err(ep->chip, "cannot submit urb (err = %d)\n", err); if (ep->data_subs && ep->data_subs->pcm_substream) { substream = ep->data_subs->pcm_substream; snd_pcm_stop_xrun(substream); } However, the XHCI driver will happily submit an URB to a stopped device. Looking at the call trace usb_submit_urb -> xhci_urb_enqueue -> xhci_queue_isoc_tx_prepare -> prepare_ring, you can see this code: /* Make sure the endpoint has been added to xHC schedule */ switch (ep_state) { ... case EP_STATE_HALTED: xhci_dbg(xhci, "WARN halted endpoint, queueing URB anyway.\n"); case EP_STATE_STOPPED: case EP_STATE_RUNNING: break; This leads me to a few questions: - should retire_capture_urb call snd_pcm_stop_xrun, or another function like it, if it sees certain errors in the iso frame in the URB? - should snd_complete_urb do something with these errors, too, in case they happen on the sync frames and not the data frames? - does the XHCI code need to ring the doorbell when submitting an URB to a stopped device, or is it always up to the higher-level driver to fully reset the device before it can do anything useful? - if a device in stopped state does not do anything useful, should usb_submit_urb return an error? - how should the USB sound driver recover from these occasional and/or one-off errors? stop the sound stream, or try to reinitialize the device and start recording again? I am willing to write patches and can test with my setup, but both the sound code and the USB code are new to me so I would like to know what direction I should go in :) -- All Rights Reversed.