From: "Michael Kerrisk" <mtk-manpages@gmx.net>
To: janak@us.ibm.com
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>,
	akpm@osdl.org, ak@muc.de, hch@lst.de, paulus@samba.org,
	viro@ftp.linux.org.uk, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	michael.kerrisk@gmx.net
Subject: Re: unhare() interface design questions and man page
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:40:46 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

Replying to myself...

> > > Do you have any further response on this point?
> > > (There was none in your last message?)
> >
> > I personally don't think it's worth makign UNSHARE_NEWNS just because
> > it's a flag that acts differently from the other CLONE_xxx flags.
>
> See my comments above.  (And in case it wasn't clear, I meant
> make a complete set of UNSHARE_* flags that mirror the
> corresponding CLONE_* flags.)

(By the way, I meant that the flag should preferably be called
UNSHARE_NS, not UNSHARE_NEWNS -- as noted in an earlier message
in this thread, CLONE_NEWNS was itself a bad name.)

I had another thought about why using names of the form
UNSHARE_* might be worthwhile.  It just might be that in the
future, someone might want to add a flag that has nothing
to do with clone().  I mean some flag that somehow performs
some other modification of the behaviour or unshare(), or
perhaps unshares something that isn't shared/unshared by
clone().  (The first possibility seems more likely than
the second.)  In that case, it would make litte sense to
name the flag(s) CLONE_xxx.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?
Grab the latest tarball at
ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/manpages/,
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
files for 'FIXME'.