From: Nadav Amit <namit@vmware.com>
To: Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net>
Cc: Paul Turner <pjt@google.com>,
	the arch/x86 maintainers <x86@kernel.org>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Andy Lutomirsky <luto@kernel.org>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	Jann Horn <jannh@google.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] x86: Speculative execution warnings
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 18:53:05 +0000	[thread overview]

> On May 14, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>

> On May 14, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Nadav Amit <namit@vmware.com> wrote:
>
>>> On May 14, 2019, at 1:00 AM, Paul Turner <pjt@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> From: Nadav Amit <namit@vmware.com>
>>> Date: Fri, May 10, 2019 at 7:45 PM
>>> To: <x86@kernel.org>
>>> Cc: Borislav Petkov, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, Nadav Amit, Andy
>>> Lutomirsky, Ingo Molnar, Peter Zijlstra, Thomas Gleixner, Jann Horn

>>> Nice trick!
>>
>> “Illusion." [ ignore if you don’t know the reference ]
>>
>>> Can you eliminate the indirect call by forcing an access fault to
>>> abort the transaction instead, e.g. "cmove 0, $1”?
>>>
>>> (If this works, it may also allow support on older architectures as
>>> the RTM_RETIRED.ABORT* events go back further I believe?)
>>
>> I don’t think it would work. The whole problem is that we need a counter
>> that is updated during execution and not retirement. I tried several
>> counters and could not find other appropriate ones.
>>
>> The idea behind the implementation is to affect the control flow through
>> data dependency. I may be able to do something similar without an indirect
>> branch. I’ll take a page, put the XABORT on the page and make the page NX.
>> Then, a direct jump would go to this page. The conditional-mov would change
>> the PTE to X if the assertion is violated. There should be a page-walk even
>> if the CPU finds the entry in the TLB, since this entry is NX.
>
> I think you only get a page walk if the TLB entry is not-present. I’d be a
> bit surprised if the CPU is willing to execute, even speculatively, from
> speculatively written data. Good luck!

I guess you are right (although I didn’t try). IIRC, Jann Horn once
explained to me that if CPUs used PTEs that were written speculatively, this
would have been a correctness issue, since the PTE needs to get to the TLB
before it is used.

I’ll try a different path (not concrete idea which), assuming there is an
interest.