* Using ion memory for direct-io
@ 2017-04-14  9:18 Zengtao (B)
From: Zengtao (B) @ 2017-04-14  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: labbott, sumit.semwal; +Cc: gregkh, arve, riandrews, devel, linux-kernel

Hi

Currently, the ion mapped to userspace will be forced with VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP flags.
When I use the ion memory to do the direct-io, it will fail when reaching the get_user_pages,

Back to the VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP flag, there two flags are introduced by the remap_pfn_range called
by the ion_heap_mmap_user.

>From my point of view, all ion memory(cma/vmalloc/system heap) are managed by linux vm, it
is not reasonable to have the VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP flag, but I don't any suitable function
to replace the remap_pfn_range, any suggestions?

Thanks && Regards

Zengtao

* Re: Using ion memory for direct-io
@ 2017-04-17 16:13 ` Laura Abbott
       [not found]   ` <678F3D1BB717D949B966B68EAEB446ED0BCD4CDF@dggeml511-mbs.china.huawei.com>
From: Laura Abbott @ 2017-04-17 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zengtao (B), sumit.semwal; +Cc: gregkh, arve, riandrews, devel, linux-kernel

On 04/14/2017 02:18 AM, Zengtao (B) wrote:
> Hi
>
> Currently, the ion mapped to userspace will be forced with VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP flags.
> When I use the ion memory to do the direct-io, it will fail when reaching the get_user_pages,
>
> Back to the VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP flag, there two flags are introduced by the remap_pfn_range called
> by the ion_heap_mmap_user.
>
> From my point of view, all ion memory(cma/vmalloc/system heap) are managed by linux vm, it
> is not reasonable to have the VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP flag, but I don't any suitable function
> to replace the remap_pfn_range, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks && Regards
>
> Zengtao

The carveout heap is omitted from your list of 'all ion memory'. At one
time, carveout memory was not backed by struct pages so I suspect
this is a holdover from then. This would probably be better served
by using vm_insert_page and handling higher order pages properly.

Thanks,
Laura

* Re: 答复: Using ion memory for direct-io
       [not found]   ` <678F3D1BB717D949B966B68EAEB446ED0BCD4CDF@dggeml511-mbs.china.huawei.com>
@ 2017-04-18 15:56     ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2017-04-18 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zengtao (B), sumit.semwal; +Cc: gregkh, arve, riandrews, devel, linux-kernel

On 04/17/2017 07:05 PM, Zengtao (B) wrote:
> [...]

The carveout heap only uses memory with struct pages these
days. My point was that the VM_IO and VFM_PFNMAP shouldn't
need to be used at all anymore. Sorry for the confusion.

>> by using vm_insert_page and handling higher order pages properly.
> Your latest patch has remove the the page faulting support, I didn't deep into the reason,
> but I think this conflicts with the vm_insert_page.

vm_insert_page should be able to be used outside the fault
handler.

>> Thanks,
>> Laura
>
> I tried to use the similar way as the dma framework do(split the page and map_vm_area), but
> the split will break the ion sg design, maybe we need a new lowlevel map function instead of directly
> using the remap_pfn_range.

Yes, I don't think we can directly copy what the
dma framework does. I think we should be okay
with allocating pages with __GFP_COMP and then
just using vm_insert_page but I'm not 100% sure
this would work with CMA.

For completeness sake, I know the request is for direct-io
but can you share a few more details about the
driver/use case where you want to use direct-io with Ion
buffers?

> Thanks
> Zengtao

Thanks,