From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net>
To: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	Qais Yousef <qais.yousef@arm.com>,
	USB list <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>,
	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: lockdep warning in urb.c:363 usb_submit_urb
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 18:45:48 +0200	[thread overview]

On Friday, April 3, 2020 10:15:09 PM CEST Alan Stern wrote:
> For the most part we seem to be in agreement.

Indeed.

> On Fri, 3 Apr 2020, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Well, in theory any driver or subsystem can do this whenever it wants
> > > to, regardless of any flag settings.
> >
> > Not exactly.
> >
> > Say the driver wants to point both ->runtime_suspend and ->suspend_late to
> > the same function.
> >
> > If the bus type doesn't provide system-wide PM callbacks at all (which is
> > the case for some bus types), that only works if the device is never
> > runtime-suspended when ->suspend_late is about to run, because otherwise
> > the function in question needs to check the context in which it is running
> > (PM-runtime vs system-wide and runtime-suspended vs runtime-active in the
> > latter case) which at least is awkward and hard to get right.
> >
> > > It's then up to the driver or
> > > subsystem to make sure the callback "does the right thing".
> >
> > In theory.
>
> Okay.  In any case, this is about what drivers should do, not about
> what the core should do.

These two things are related to each other though.

> > > What I'm concerned about now is: What guarantees can the core give to
> > > the driver and subsystem, so that they will know what is necessary in
> > > order to "do the right thing"?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean.
> >
> > If the subsystem provides callbacks, the core will run them regardless.
> >
> > If it does not provide callbacks, the core will skip ->suspend_late and
> > ->suspend_noirq for the driver and the device will remain suspended.
> >
> > If SMART_SUSPEND is not set, the core will execute all of the callbacks
> > that are present.
>
> All right, then those are the guarantees I was thinking of.

OK

> > > What do you mean by "simplified"?
> >
> > Avoiding actual PM.
> >
> > > As I see it, the suspend-side callbacks are generally responsible for
> > > four things:
> > >
> > > 	1. Quiesce the device (finish ongoing I/O and do not allow any
> > > 	   more to start).
> > >
> > > 	2. Save the current device state.
> > >
> > > 	3. Install the appropriate wakeup settings.
> > >
> > > 	4. Put the device into low-power mode.
> > >
> > > (Not explicitly listed: Perform a runtime-resume if needed in order to
> > > carry out these four items.)
> > >
> > > During a SUSPEND transition, we usually expect all four to happen.
>
> Based on what you said elsewhere, 4 may not be needed for SUSPEND
> (depending on the platform).

Right.

> > > During a FREEZE transition, we only require 1.
>
> Actually, FREEZE should do 2 as well.  Doing all four is acceptable,
> though not optimal.

Right.

> > That's what I mean by "simplified".
> >
> > > During a POWEROFF
> > > transition we require 1 and 3, and possibly 4 (depending on how the
> > > platform handles poweroff).
> >
> > But doing 2 is not a bug AFAICS.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > Similar requirements apply to the resume-side callbacks.  (But note
> > > that RESTORE is not the inverse of POWEROFF; it is more like an inverse
> > > of FREEZE with the added complication that the device's initial state
> > > is unknown.)
> >
> > It actually isn't even an inverse of FREEZE.  It is like RESUME with the
> > additional requirements that (a) it can never be skipped and (b) the
> > device need not be in a low-power state when it runs (the initial state
> > of it is unknown if you will).
>
> Let's put it like this: The resume-side callbacks should have the
> overall effect of bringing the device back to its initial state, with
> the following exceptions and complications:
>
> 	Unless SMART_SUSPEND and LEAVE_SUSPEND are both set, a device
> 	that was in runtime suspend before the suspend_late phase
> 	must end up being runtime-active after the matching RESUME.
>
> 	Unless SMART_SUSPEND is set, a device that was in runtime
> 	suspend before the freeze_late phase must end up being
> 	runtime-active after the matching THAW.

Correct.

> [I'm not so sure about this.  Wouldn't it make more sense to treat
> _every_ device as though SMART_SUSPEND was set for FREEZE/THAW
> transitions, and require subsystems to do the same?]

Drivers may expect devices to be runtime-active when their suspend
callbacks are invoked unless they set SMART_SUSPEND.  IOW, without
SMART_SUSPEND set the device should not be left in runtime suspend
during system-wide suspend at all unless direct-complete is applied
to it.

> 	After RESTORE, _every_ device must end up being runtime
> 	active.

Correct.

> 	In general, each resume-side callback should undo the effect
> 	of the matching suspend-side callback.  However, because of
> 	the requirements mentioned in the preceding sentences,
> 	sometimes a resume-side callback will be issued even though
> 	the matching suspend-side callback was skipped -- i.e., when
> 	a device that starts out runtime-suspended ends up being
> 	runtime-active.
>
> How does that sound?

It is correct, but in general the other way around is possible too.
That is, a suspend-side callback may be issued without the matching
resume-side one and the device's PM runtime status may be changed
if LEAVE_SUSPENDED is set and SMART_SUSPEND is unset.

> > > What changes to this analysis would SMART_SUSPEND allow?  None if the
> > > device is runtime-active.  But if the device is runtime-suspended and
> > > the wakeup settings don't need to be changed, then presumably none of
> > > the four items are necessary.
> > >
> > > Is this what you mean?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > What I meant was that even if the driver pointed ->runtime_suspend and
> > ->suspend_late (say) to the same function and it pointed ->resume_early
> > and ->runtime_resume to the same function, it didn't have to point
> > ->freeze_late and ->thaw_early to the same pair of functions, respectively.
> >
> > It can point ->freeze_late and ->thaw_early to a pair of different functions
> > that only quiesce the device and reverse that, respectively.
>
> Again, that describes what drivers or subsystems should do, not what
> the core will do.

> > > Okay, this agrees with what I wrote above.

> > > All right.  To summarize: If the driver's ->freeze_late callback is
> > > skipped then the driver's ->thaw-early will be skipped, and similarly
> > > for ->freeze_noirq and ->thaw_noirq.  But RESTORE callbacks are never
> > > skipped.  Correct?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> And this will be true whether or not LEAVE_SUSPENDED is set, right?

Right.

> > > However, the most difficult transitions are SUSPEND and RESUME.  Is it
> > > accurate to say that if the driver's ->suspend_late callback is skipped
> > > then the driver's ->resume_early will be skipped, and similarly for
> > > ->suspend_noirq and ->resume_noirq?
> >
> > If LEAVE_SUSPENDED is set in addition to SMART_SUSPEND, then yes.

> > > One question not addressed above (in fact, the original reason for
> > > getting you involved in this discussion): What about the device's
> > > power.runtime_status?  Shall we say that that core will call
> > > pm_runtime_set_active() at some point before issuing the ->complete
> > > callback unless some combination of flags is set?  And what should that
> > > combination be?
> > >
> > > After all, we expect that most drivers will want their devices to be in
> > > the runtime-active state at the end of a system sleep or hibernation.
> > > It makes sense for the core to do the necessary housekeeping.
> >
> > The core will set the PM-runtime status to "active" in device_resume_noirq()
> > if (a) the subsystem callbacks are not invoked (otherwise the subsystem is
> > responsible for doing that) and (b) if the driver's callback not skipped
> > (in which case its ->resume_early callback will not be skipped too).
>
> Are you certain you want the subsystem callback to be responsible for
> setting the runtime status to "active"?  Isn't this an example of
> something the core could do in order to help simplify subsystems?

The rationale here is that whoever decides whether or not to skip the
driver-level callbacks, should also set the PM-runtime status of the
device to match that decision.

> > > Does this invalidate anything I wrote above?
> >
> > I don't think so.  It is the reason why driver callbacks are skipped for
> > runtime-suspended devices.
>
> And this brings up another thing the core might do to help simplify
> drivers and subsystems: If SMART_SUSPEND isn't set and the device is in
> runtime suspend, couldn't the core do a pm_runtime_resume before
> issuing the ->suspend or ->suspend_late callback?

It could, but sometimes that is not desirable.  Like when the drivver points its
suspend callback to pm_runtime_force_suspend().

> > > In other words, it's okay for the core either to issue or skip those
> > > callbacks.  Presumably the decision will be made based on some flag
> > > setting?
> >
> > Yes.  A flag combined with the PM-runtime status of the device in
> > device_suspend_noirq().

> > > I don't have a clear idea of how pm_runtime_force_suspend/resume() gets
> > > used.  Are we better off ignoring it for the time being?
> >
> > Yes, we are.
>
> We're converging on a final answer!

I think so.

In the meantime I have created a git branch with changes to simplify the code,
rename some things and clarify the documentation a bit:

 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm.git \
 pm-sleep-core

(https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm.git/log/?h=pm-sleep-core
for web access).

I'm going to post these changes as patches soon.

Cheers!