From: Thomas Hood <jdthoodREMOVETHIS@yahoo.co.uk>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Bug: 2.4.0 w/ PCMCIA on ThinkPad: KERNEL:  assertion(dev->ip_ptr==NULL)failed at  dev.c(2422):netdev_finish_unregister
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:15:53 -0500	[thread overview]

Dear l-k.

I'm still having this problem with kernel 2.4.0:

Conditions:
Linux 2.4.0 compiled on an IBM ThinkPad 600 51U (Pentium II)
laptop with PCMCIA support.  Same behavior with integral kernel
PCMCIA, modular kernel PCMCIA and modular Hinds PCMCIA.  System
is Progeny Debian beta II.

I have a Xircom modem/ethernet card which works correctly using
the serial_cs, xirc2ps_cs, ds, i82365 and pcmcia_core modules;
however when I try to "cardctl eject" or "reboot" I get first,
   "KERNEL: assertion(dev->ip_ptr==NULL)failed at
    dev.c(2422):netdev_finish_unregister"
(not exact since I had to copy it down on paper ... doesn't
show up in the logs) then a perpetual series of:
   "unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to become free.
    Usage count = -1"
messages every five seconds or so.  "ps -A" reveals that
modprobe is running; it can't be killed even with "kill -9".
The "ifconfig" command locks up.  Shutdown won't complete
so I end up having to use SysRq-S-U-B to reboot.

This problem only occurs if the Xircom card is connected to
the Ethernet (in which case it is configured using DHCP).
If the card is left unconnected to the network, the problem
does not occur---the card can be ejected.

Thomas Hood
Please cc: your replies to me at jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk
-