* what's the purpose of SYMBOL_NAME()
@ 2001-06-14 16:57 Marty Leisner
From: Marty Leisner @ 2001-06-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm read Bovet's "Understand the Linux Kernel"
and looked at the assembly routine setup_idt...

I noticed the assembly has SYMBOL_NAME
(its all over the place).

This is define in include/linux/linkage.h

to just:
#define SYMBOL_NAME(X) X

(this wasn't in Bovet's book).

What's the purpose?

marty		mleisner@eng.mc.xerox.com
Don't  confuse education with schooling.
	Milton Friedman to Yogi Berra

* Re: what's the purpose of SYMBOL_NAME()
@ 2001-06-14 17:34 ` Brian Gerst
From: Brian Gerst @ 2001-06-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marty Leisner; +Cc: linux-kernel

Marty Leisner wrote:

> I'm read Bovet's "Understand the Linux Kernel"
> and looked at the assembly routine setup_idt...
>
> I noticed the assembly has SYMBOL_NAME
> (its all over the place).
>
> This is define in include/linux/linkage.h
>
> to just:
> #define SYMBOL_NAME(X) X
>
> (this wasn't in Bovet's book).
>
> What's the purpose?

IIRC, it's a holdover from the days when the kernel could be compiled in
a.out and ELF format.  a.out prepends an underscore to all symbols,
whereas ELF does not.

--

				Brian Gerst