* EEPRO100/S support
@ 2001-06-15 20:57 Tim Hockin
From: Tim Hockin @ 2001-06-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey all,
I just had an eepro/100 S delivered to me.  I haven't dug through specs
yet, but has anyone looke at this?  Supposedly has a 3DES ASIC built in to
the core.

Any way we can use it?

--
Tim Hockin
Systems Software Engineer

* Re: EEPRO100/S support
@ 2001-06-15 21:54 ` Kelledin Tane
From: Kelledin Tane @ 2001-06-15 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> Hey all,
> I just had an eepro/100 S delivered to me.  I haven't dug through specs
> yet, but has anyone looke at this?  Supposedly has a 3DES ASIC built in to
> the core.
>
> Any way we can use it?

Good question.  I've been wondering how exactly that ASIC would even benefit
Windows users.

Should 3DES functions be moved to the kernel?  Anything's possible.  Then get
with the libcrypt people to get the 3DES acceleration supported transparently
in glibc.

FWIW, I believe Intel's Linux drivers will support this card under 2.4, and I
believe (not 100% certain on this) that they're GPL.  I'll have to check on
that.

Kelledin

* RE: EEPRO100/S support
@ 2001-06-22 22:46 Mroczek, Joseph T
From: Mroczek, Joseph T @ 2001-06-22 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>The e100 driver from intel claims to support these cards (the 100 S
>desktop adaptor, that is), but in fact the drivers lock up under heavy
>UDP load (at least they do for me in 2.2.19).  It seems to only be a
>problem with these newer cards, the e100 is solid with older cards
>(and things like the 100VE which is onboard on many Easterns).
>
>Intel are working on fixing the lockups, they thought it was related
>to the checksum offload though turning that off doesn't prevent the
>lockups.  Version 1.66 is much more stable than 1.55a (1.55a would
>lockup after 60-80M of traffic on these cards), I'm awaiting the next
>version to see if they have nailed it.

A temporary workaround for e100-1.6.6 that works in most cases is to
disable the CPUSaver features by using the ucode=0 option.

>I've no idea if the e100 works on anything other than ia32/ia64.

Yes it does. At this point it should be platform independent, I see all
the required changes for both big and little endian support.

~joe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 2199 bytes --]

* Re: EEPRO100/S support
@ 2001-06-18  4:27 J.S.Peatfield
From: J.S.Peatfield @ 2001-06-18  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: J.S.Peatfield

> FWIW, I believe Intel's Linux drivers will support this card under
> 2.4, and I believe (not 100% certain on this) that they're GPL.  I'll
> have to check on that.

The e100 driver from intel claims to support these cards (the 100 S
desktop adaptor, that is), but in fact the drivers lock up under heavy
UDP load (at least they do for me in 2.2.19).  It seems to only be a
problem with these newer cards, the e100 is solid with older cards
(and things like the 100VE which is onboard on many Easterns).

Intel are working on fixing the lockups, they thought it was related
to the checksum offload though turning that off doesn't prevent the
lockups.  Version 1.66 is much more stable than 1.55a (1.55a would
lockup after 60-80M of traffic on these cards), I'm awaiting the next
version to see if they have nailed it.

The driver is not GPL (I don't know why it isn't) and doesn't support
the encryption asic on baords which have it (and Intel seem unwilling
to release details of this asic so others can write drivers to use
it).

I've no idea if the e100 works on anything other than ia32/ia64.