* APM, ACPI, and Wake on LAN - the bane of my existance
@ 2001-06-14 17:38 Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2001-06-14 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, acpi

I have an athlon system with a iwill kk266 motherboard (via kt133A).  I
have a linksys 10/100 PCI ethernet card with wake on lan capabilities.
Anyway, when I shut the PC down it turns off, but refuses to stay off.
Within a minute or two, it turns itself on again.  If i run over and
turn it off by hitting the power putton, it turns off, but then comes
back on again at a later somewaht arbitrary time (1 minute to several
hours later).  I originally got the WOL card so I could remotely boot my
PC, but at this point it has turned out to be more trouble than it's
worth.  I tried to disable WOL inthe BIOS, but that didn't change
anything.  So I removed the three pin cross connect that connects the
card to the WOL header on the motherboard.  That fixed it for a few
days, but now it's doing it again, even without the cable installed.
the only fix is to unplug the ethernet cable when I turn it off.

I suspect the problem has something to do with WOL vs. resume on LAN.
the system should only turn on when it recieves a magic packet, but it
seems that any packet may cause it to boot (or resume, but since it is
in the "off" state, boot).  I've only been using APM, but perhaps acpi
is required for this to work properly.  As far as why it does this when
the 3 pin WOL connector was not used, I'm not sure, maybe something to
do with PCI 2.2.

Any thoughts?  This is driving me nuts.

Alex

Please CC: me in your reply.

* Re: APM, ACPI, and Wake on LAN - the bane of my existance
@ 2001-06-15 15:56 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-06-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: linux-kernel, acpi

Hi!

> anything.  So I removed the three pin cross connect that connects the
> card to the WOL header on the motherboard.  That fixed it for a few
> days, but now it's doing it again, even without the cable installed.
> the only fix is to unplug the ethernet cable when I turn it off.

So turn it off by unplugging AC cord. If it comes up *without* AC plugged
in.... Welll... Call GhostBusters.
								Pavel
PS: I is possible that machine comes up after powerfail. This might be
your proble. Without 3pin cable installed, it really should not come up
itself.

* Re: APM, ACPI, and Wake on LAN - the bane of my existance
@ 2001-06-18 13:43   ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2001-06-18 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: linux-kernel, acpi

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > anything.  So I removed the three pin cross connect that connects the
> > card to the WOL header on the motherboard.  That fixed it for a few
> > days, but now it's doing it again, even without the cable installed.
> > the only fix is to unplug the ethernet cable when I turn it off.
>
> So turn it off by unplugging AC cord. If it comes up *without* AC plugged
> in.... Welll... Call GhostBusters.
>                                                                 Pavel

True, but I'd like to have work without having to unplug the power
everyday :)

> PS: I is possible that machine comes up after powerfail. This might be
> your proble. Without 3pin cable installed, it really should not come up
> itself.

Actually apparently it is possible with PCI 2.2 compliant cards and
motherboards.  The 3 pin wire is for backwards compatiblity with old
cards.

> --
> Philips Velo 1: 1"x4"x8", 300gram, 60, 12MB, 40bogomips, linux, mutt,
> details at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/velo/index.html.

Thanks for you input,

Alex