* Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-25  9:01 Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-25  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: jmerkey

LKML,

TRG got a response from Novell related to the NetWare File System
on Linux.  From the tone of the letter, Novell is declaring war
on Linux or anyone who is using NWFS.  This letter is posted
to our website and can be accessed at www.timpanogas.org if
any NWFS users want to know what Novell's views are and public
statements.  They claim it's "stolen property".

Jeff Merkey
TRG

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-25 20:25 ` Bruce Ferrell
From: Bruce Ferrell @ 2001-08-25 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmerkey; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jeff,

In the letter you referenced in your posting to the LKML you've made the
claim that Novell is "declaring war on Linux".

It seems, after reading the letter that was scanned and posted on the
timpanogas web site, that they've simply said no to some request that
made of them. And further told you they think they can win should you
pursue legal action.

I admit, I do have a soft spot for Netware as it was my "baby" network
but I'm not an employee of Novell or major fan today.  It's just too
expensive.  Novell just doesn't seem to be able to adapt to current
conditions today.  Too bad as their server is much better than anything
coming out of Redmond.

All of that not withstanding, I don't think you're doing yourself or us
any good by making what seem to be exagerated claims.

Just my 2 cents worth.

\x18

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> LKML,
>
> TRG got a response from Novell related to the NetWare File System
> on Linux.  From the tone of the letter, Novell is declaring war
> on Linux or anyone who is using NWFS.  This letter is posted
> to our website and can be accessed at www.timpanogas.org if
> any NWFS users want to know what Novell's views are and public
> statements.  They claim it's "stolen property".
>
> Jeff Merkey
> TRG
>
> -

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-25 22:30   ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ferrell; +Cc: jmerkey, linux-kernel

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 01:25:09PM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I share your views.

My 2 cents worth.

Jeff

> Jeff,
>
> In the letter you referenced in your posting to the LKML you've made the
> claim that Novell is "declaring war on Linux".
>
> It seems, after reading the letter that was scanned and posted on the
> timpanogas web site, that they've simply said no to some request that
> made of them. And further told you they think they can win should you
> pursue legal action.
>
> I admit, I do have a soft spot for Netware as it was my "baby" network
> but I'm not an employee of Novell or major fan today.  It's just too
> expensive.  Novell just doesn't seem to be able to adapt to current
> conditions today.  Too bad as their server is much better than anything
> coming out of Redmond.
>
> All of that not withstanding, I don't think you're doing yourself or us
> any good by making what seem to be exagerated claims.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> \x18
>
> "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:
> >
> > LKML,
> >
> > TRG got a response from Novell related to the NetWare File System
> > on Linux.  From the tone of the letter, Novell is declaring war
> > on Linux or anyone who is using NWFS.  This letter is posted
> > to our website and can be accessed at www.timpanogas.org if
> > any NWFS users want to know what Novell's views are and public
> > statements.  They claim it's "stolen property".
> >
> > Jeff Merkey
> > TRG
> >
> > -
> > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-27  8:02     ` Henning P. Schmiedehausen
From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen @ 2001-08-27  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org> writes:

>On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 01:25:09PM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:

>Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I share your views.

And where is page one of this letter?

IMHO you're trying to do politics (again!) on LKLM with just
half-assed information. You're a lawyer, aren't you?

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-27 19:28       ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-27 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hps; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:02:56AM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org> writes:
>
> >On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 01:25:09PM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I share your views.
>
> And where is page one of this letter?
>
> IMHO you're trying to do politics (again!) on LKLM with just
> half-assed information. You're a lawyer, aren't you?

People have downloaded NWFS from LKML.  If Novell is making claims
it's stolen, in the US I have an obligation to inform these people.
You live in Germany, so I don't expect you to understand our laws.
Under our law, Novell can go after any of these people, so they
need to be warned.

Jeff

> 	Regards
> 		Henning
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
> INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de
>
> Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
> D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20
> -

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-28  8:21         ` Henning P. Schmiedehausen
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen @ 2001-08-28  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org> writes:

>People have downloaded NWFS from LKML.  If Novell is making claims
>it's stolen, in the US I have an obligation to inform these people.
>You live in Germany, so I don't expect you to understand our laws.
>Under our law, Novell can go after any of these people, so they
>need to be warned.

According to my law understanding, people downloaded source code from
a public ftp server on the Internet according to a distribution and
licensing agreement ("GPL") that was issued by the "vendor" (distributor)
called TRG.

If you released code that was "stolen" to the public under a license
that you could not (or were not allowed to) issue, they will go after
you. Not after your customers.

In Germany, there is something called "nach bestem Wissen und
Gewissen" (roughly translated "in best intention"). This would apply
here (under german law of course).

Novell can (in best) demand that everyone who downloaded that code
"cease and desist" to use it. They can hold _you_ as the distributor
responsible for the damage to their business. And that's the reason
why you make politics here. You want to turn "Novell attacks TRG" into
"Novell attacks Linux" because you hope of a possible "fallout" on
Novell. That's what I call "make politics on LKM".

But I know, you're in the country where people marry with 14, may
drive cars with 16, carry guns with 19 but have to wait for being 21
to drink alcohol.

	Regards
		Henning

--

@ 2001-08-28 13:49           ` Paul Fulghum
From: Paul Fulghum @ 2001-08-28 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hps; +Cc: linux-kernel

> But I know, you're in the country where people marry with 14, may
> drive cars with 16, carry guns with 19 but have to wait for being 21
> to drink alcohol.

Booze, guns, cars, and underage girls?
Break out the banjos, we're going to have a ho-down.

Paul Fulghum, paulkf@microgate.com
Microgate Corporation, www.microgate.com

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-28 20:30           ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-08-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kernel

"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" wrote:

> "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org> writes:
>
> >People have downloaded NWFS from LKML.  If Novell is making claims
> >it's stolen, in the US I have an obligation to inform these people.
> >You live in Germany, so I don't expect you to understand our laws.
> >Under our law, Novell can go after any of these people, so they
> >need to be warned.
>
> According to my law understanding, people downloaded source code from
> a public ftp server on the Internet according to a distribution and
> licensing agreement ("GPL") that was issued by the "vendor" (distributor)
> called TRG.
>
> If you released code that was "stolen" to the public under a license
> that you could not (or were not allowed to) issue, they will go after
> you. Not after your customers.
>
> In Germany, there is something called "nach bestem Wissen und
> Gewissen" (roughly translated "in best intention"). This would apply
> here (under german law of course).

We have the same sort of thing here. Technically, anyone who D/L the software believing that it was perfectly legal to do so and having no intent to harm Novell
or steal their proprietary information, could not be prosecuted. They could be ordered to stop using it and get rid of (destroy) all copies, and thereafter if
they were caught with it they could be prosecuted. But, in actuality - and this stands for any country with any laws - Novell can do what ever they want to
those who have the software unless the courts decide not to let them.

> But I know, you're in the country where people marry with 14, may
> drive cars with 16, carry guns with 19 but have to wait for being 21
> to drink alcohol.

As an American, I have to say "Stupid isn't it!"

I think people shouldn't marry until 40! (J/K, I have two young daughters ;)

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-29 22:05         ` Jim Roland
From: Jim Roland @ 2001-08-29 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff V. Merkey; +Cc: hps, linux-kernel

If it's indeed "stolen", Novell could seek an injunction to have the
download removed.  They would also have to have NCP removed from
the kernel.  Neither of which they have done.  BTW, your letter
posting on your website link some time ago, did not work (404 error).

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:02:56AM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> > "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org> writes:
> >
> > >On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 01:25:09PM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I share your views.
> >
> > And where is page one of this letter?
> >
> > IMHO you're trying to do politics (again!) on LKLM with just
> > half-assed information. You're a lawyer, aren't you?
>

> People have downloaded NWFS from LKML.  If Novell is making claims
> it's stolen, in the US I have an obligation to inform these people.
> You live in Germany, so I don't expect you to understand our laws.
> Under our law, Novell can go after any of these people, so they
> need to be warned.
>
> Jeff
>

> > 	Regards
> > 		Henning
> >
> > --
> > Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
> > INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de
> >
> > Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
> > D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20
> > -
> -

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-29 22:46             ` Jim Roland
From: Jim Roland @ 2001-08-29 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Fulghum; +Cc: hps, linux-kernel

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Paul Fulghum wrote:

> > But I know, you're in the country where people marry with 14, may
> > drive cars with 16, carry guns with 19 but have to wait for being 21
> > to drink alcohol.
>
> Booze, guns, cars, and underage girls?
> Break out the banjos, we're going to have a ho-down.

Hmmm...I seemed to have missed all that the movie Deliverance had for
us.  Thank God.

> Paul Fulghum, paulkf@microgate.com
> Microgate Corporation, www.microgate.com
>
> -

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  3:26             ` Erik Andersen
From: Erik Andersen @ 2001-08-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff V. Merkey; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed Aug 29, 2001 at 09:03:56PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> state, depending on the circumstances.  You are allowed to have multiple
> wives, and the State will support all of them for you with child support
> so long as they are older than 16.  If you are a Mormon, you get to tell
> these wives they will not be allowed in heaven unless they do whatever
> you tell them.

Thank you for your ideas.  But lets be clear here, they are _your_ ideas
and have as little to do with fact as your legal problems with Novell have
to do with Linux.

Quoting from the Utah State Consitution:
    http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/const/htm/co_17003.htm

    "An Act to punish polygamy and other kindred offenses," approved February
    4th, A.D. 1892, in so far as the same defines and imposes penalties for
    polygamy, is hereby declared to be in force in the State of Utah.

There was even a very recent case where a polygamist was charged and convicted.
I suggest you take a look:
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/05/19/utah.polygamy/

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  3:56           ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-30  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Roland; +Cc: hps, linux-kernel

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 05:05:12PM -0500, Jim Roland wrote:
> If it's indeed "stolen", Novell could seek an injunction to have the
> download removed.  They would also have to have NCP removed from
> the kernel.  Neither of which they have done.  BTW, your letter
> posting on your website link some time ago, did not work (404 error).

Novell's lawyers promptly called Andy with more threats, and he ordered
me to take it down from the site.  At least the word got out before I had
to take it down.  They were pretty riled from what I hear.

Jeff

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  4:03           ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-30  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hps; +Cc: linux-kernel, jmerkey

> But I know, you're in the country where people marry with 14, may
> drive cars with 16, carry guns with 19 but have to wait for being 21
> to drink alcohol.

It's also a class A misdameanor to buy tobacco is you are under a certain
age, which is a serious penalty.  A copy of penthouse is a felony in this
state, depending on the circumstances.  You are allowed to have multiple
wives, and the State will support all of them for you with child support
so long as they are older than 16.  If you are a Mormon, you get to tell
these wives they will not be allowed in heaven unless they do whatever
you tell them.

I'm not mormon, I am an American Indian.  I also run the Utah Native
American Church (www.utah-nac.org) in addition to all the other businesses
and projects I am involved in.  I have not eaten peyote for over 20
years, FYI, but there are Indians in my church who do.  I just do simple
stuff like prayer pipe with sacred tobacco.   Please don't clump me into
the Mormon polygamist groupies.  I do have several polygamous families
living on my street, however, and they seem nice.

Each wife gets her own house, and the husband visits each one.  You have
to be very rich to be able to practice polygamy in this State, BTW.

:-)

Jeff

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  4:39             ` Trever L. Adams
From: Trever L. Adams @ 2001-08-30  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>>But I know, you're in the country where people marry with 14, may
>>drive cars with 16, carry guns with 19 but have to wait for being 21
>>to drink alcohol.
>>

> It's also a class A misdameanor to buy tobacco is you are under a certain
> age, which is a serious penalty.  A copy of penthouse is a felony in this
> state, depending on the circumstances.  You are allowed to have multiple

The penthouse may thing may be the truth.  Don't really know, don't
really care.

> wives, and the State will support all of them for you with child support
> so long as they are older than 16.  If you are a Mormon, you get to tell
> these wives they will not be allowed in heaven unless they do whatever
> you tell them.

Actually, it is very illegal to have multiple wives in Utah.  The US Gov
ernment made Utah outlaw it (I believe in the Utah constitution) in
order for Utah to gain state-hood.  I do not know why Utah doesn't
prosecute more of the polygamists, but they have been prosecuting some.
  Many on child abuse, incest, and other charges as well.  I was once
told they don't prosecute more because it was hard to make the charge of
polygamy stick if it was the only charge.  As for the Mormons, they
excommunicate (kick out) those who are caught practicing.

Please, refer to the message from Eric Andersen for the section of the
Utah Constitution referring to polygamy. Refer to LDS Official
Declaration #1 (might be available on lds.org) for the 'Mormons' stance
on polygamy.

And why do messages that have nothing to do with linux or related
matters appear on LKM?

Trever Adams

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  5:12               ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2001-08-30  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

zzz...

> And why do messages that have nothing to do with linux or related
> matters appear on LKM?

Yeah!  And why do people keep replying to....  oops

	pitty-patter pitty-patter :-)

	-Mike

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  8:27               ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-30  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Andersen, linux-kernel

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:26:40PM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:

>     "An Act to punish polygamy and other kindred offenses," approved February
>     4th, A.D. 1892, in so far as the same defines and imposes penalties for
>     polygamy, is hereby declared to be in force in the State of Utah.

Odd, I drive by huge complexes on the road from Spanish Fork to Manti,
and there's huge colonies of them down there on both sides of the roads.
I'll give you directions if you like.

:-)

Jeff

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  8:30               ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trever L. Adams; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Actually, it is very illegal to have multiple wives in Utah.  The US Gov
> ernment made Utah outlaw it (I believe in the Utah constitution) in
> order for Utah to gain state-hood.  I do not know why Utah doesn't
> prosecute more of the polygamists, but they have been prosecuting some.
>   Many on child abuse, incest, and other charges as well.  I was once
> told they don't prosecute more because it was hard to make the charge of
> polygamy stick if it was the only charge.  As for the Mormons, they
> excommunicate (kick out) those who are caught practicing.

And then they join the Polygamist Mormon Church down in Manti, an LDS
spin-off.   The State government only gets involved when the girls are
under 16, and forced to marry these old men.  Hey, Trevor, long time
no see.  Haven't seen you around for a while.  How many wives do you
have, BTW?  I only have one.  I can't imagime trying to deal with more
than one at a time.

:-)

Jeff

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  4:19 ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-08-30  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec; +Cc: Jim Roland, hps, linux-kernel

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:49:19AM +0000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 29 Aug 01 at 17:05, Jim Roland wrote:
> > If it's indeed "stolen", Novell could seek an injunction to have the
> > download removed.  They would also have to have NCP removed from
> > the kernel.  Neither of which they have done.  BTW, your letter
>
> NCP is completely different thing from NWFS. NCP documentation
> is freely downloadable from Novell site, and nobody from Novell
> never ever told me that there is something wrong with ncpfs, although
> they also do not support it. So we are on the safe side of the river AFAIK.
>                                                 Best regards,
>                                                     Petr Vandrovec
>                                                     vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

Petr's OK.  I have heard they really like and respect him.  I don't think
he will have any problems with them.  They like him and his stuff.  Craig
Miller, EVP of NetWare, has spoken highly of him to me and his work.

Jeff

> -

* Re: Novell Attacks Linux
@ 2001-08-30  0:49 Petr Vandrovec