From: Otto Wyss <otto.wyss@bluewin.ch>
To: Alex Stewart <alex@foogod.com>
Cc: "'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: How errorproof is ext2 fs?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:37:58 +0200	[thread overview]

> > it does not need a good  error proof fs. Still can't ext2 be made a little more
> > error proof?
>
> First, you seem to be making quite a few assumptions which are not
> necessarily correct:
>
> 1) Just because an OS does not _tell_ you there was a problem does not
> necessarily mean there wasn't one.  In particular, MacOS is notorious
> for not "bothering" users with detailed (or in many cases any)
> information about problems.  I don't know about HFS fragility in

Well I can assure you I used DiskFirstAid and Norton Utilities on the Mac.
Neither found any problems. Since I use MacOS9, my Mac crashes at least once a
month but I never ever lost anything. Most of the time my USB-keyboard/-mouse
doesn't react anymore after switching back from my Linux system. Usually I
simply press the reset switch after a few minutes.

Besides Linux also does not react occasionally when switching my
USB-keyboard/-mouse but since I also have an AT-keyboard handy I don't have to
reset it.

> 3) You're basing your linux experience on (apparently) only one
> incident.  As a professional sysadmin, I've experienced many many

I'm not bashing linux, I'm only stating that MacOS9 (or HFS+) has a nice feature
Linux (or its fs's) lacks. My experience shows clearly that I had at least 10
craches on the Mac durning the last year but I never lost anything. During the
same time I had 2 crashes on my linux, one due to the USB-problem without a
handy AT-keyboard, the second now due to a malfunction el3diag.

O. Wyss