* 2.4.10 hangs on console switch
@ 2001-10-02 16:45 Lars Christensen
From: Lars Christensen @ 2001-10-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Problem: Kernel 2.4.10 hangs when console is switched from X to text mode,
either using C-A-Fn or when shutting down or reboot from X (with a black
screen). 2.4.9 does not have this problem.

There is nothing about the hang in the log files. Kernel is configured for
Athlon/K7 processor.

# scripts/ver_linux

Gnu C                  2.95.4
Gnu make               3.79.1
binutils               2.11.90.0.31
util-linux             2.11h
mount                  2.11h
modutils               2.4.9
e2fsprogs              tune2fs
Linux C Library        2.2.4
Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.2.4
Procps                 2.0.7
Net-tools              1.60
Console-tools          0.2.3
Sh-utils               2.0.11

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 1333.391
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2660.76

# cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
a000-a0ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
  a000-a0ff : 8139too
a400-a4ff : C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
d000-d01f : VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (#2)
d400-d41f : VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB
d800-d80f : VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE
  d800-d807 : ide0
  d808-d80f : ide1
e000-e003 : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 [Irongate] System
Controller
e300-e37f : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
e800-e80f : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]

# cat /proc/iomem
00000000-0009fbff : System RAM
0009fc00-0009ffff : reserved
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
000c0000-000c7fff : Video ROM
000f0000-000fffff : System ROM
00100000-0ffebfff : System RAM
  00100000-00200293 : Kernel code
  00200294-0025507f : Kernel data
0ffec000-0ffeefff : ACPI Tables
0ffef000-0fffefff : reserved
0ffff000-0fffffff : ACPI Non-volatile Storage
dd800000-dd8000ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
  dd800000-dd8000ff : 8139too
de000000-dfdfffff : PCI Bus #01
  de000000-deffffff : nVidia Corporation NV11
dff00000-ef7fffff : PCI Bus #01
  e0000000-e7ffffff : nVidia Corporation NV11
ef800000-ef800fff : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 [Irongate] System
Controller
f0000000-f7ffffff : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 [Irongate] System
Controller
ffff0000-ffffffff : reserved

--
Lars Christensen, larsch@cs.auc.dk

* Re: 2.4.10 hangs on console switch
@ 2001-10-02 17:41 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-02 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Christensen; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Problem: Kernel 2.4.10 hangs when console is switched from X to text mode,
> either using C-A-Fn or when shutting down or reboot from X (with a black
> screen). 2.4.9 does not have this problem.
>
> There is nothing about the hang in the log files. Kernel is configured for
> Athlon/K7 processor.

You are using the Nvidia drivers aren't you. They seem to have timing
dependant screen mode switch problems. The timing has changed in 2.4.10

Alan

* Re: 2.4.10 hangs on console switch
@ 2001-10-02 18:21   ` Lars Christensen
From: Lars Christensen @ 2001-10-02 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Problem: Kernel 2.4.10 hangs when console is switched from X to text mode,
> > either using C-A-Fn or when shutting down or reboot from X (with a black
> > screen). 2.4.9 does not have this problem.
> >
> > There is nothing about the hang in the log files. Kernel is configured for
> > Athlon/K7 processor.
>
> You are using the Nvidia drivers aren't you. They seem to have timing
> dependant screen mode switch problems. The timing has changed in 2.4.10

Not the nvidia supplied drivers. I am using the nvidia driver (nv)  that
comes with XFree86 4.1.0. I did not compile in kernel agpgart and driver
support.

--

@ 2001-10-02 18:39     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-02 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Christensen; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> > You are using the Nvidia drivers aren't you. They seem to have timing
> > dependant screen mode switch problems. The timing has changed in 2.4.10
>
> Not the nvidia supplied drivers. I am using the nvidia driver (nv)  that
> comes with XFree86 4.1.0. I did not compile in kernel agpgart and driver
> support.

I'm seeing  reports of this one always with nvidia cards and with both sets
of Nvidia drivers - I guess they both do the same thing and have the same
bug, or the user mode XFree bit is in both cases doing it.

Right now thats all I can really point at as a pattern, I dont know why the
problem should be there

Alan

* Re: 2.4.10 hangs on console switch
@ 2001-10-02 21:31   ` Trever L. Adams
From: Trever L. Adams @ 2001-10-02 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 13:41, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Problem: Kernel 2.4.10 hangs when console is switched from X to text mode,
> > either using C-A-Fn or when shutting down or reboot from X (with a black
> > screen). 2.4.9 does not have this problem.
> >
> > There is nothing about the hang in the log files. Kernel is configured for
> > Athlon/K7 processor.
>
> You are using the Nvidia drivers aren't you. They seem to have timing
> dependant screen mode switch problems. The timing has changed in 2.4.10
>
> Alan

I have an old Leadtek Winfast something or other (8MB Permedia 2).  I
see hangs on idle (saw someone point that to a conflict in 2.4.10 in apm
and the IO-APIC or something like that), shut down (when X exits) or on
console switch.  These do not happen all the time, but they are there.

Just another data point.

RedHat 7.1 up-to-date with Ximian's Gnome.

Trever

* Re: 2.4.10 hangs on console switch
@ 2001-10-03  9:02     ` Stephane Dudzinski
From: Stephane Dudzinski @ 2001-10-03  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've tested 2.4.10 since a couple of days, had to reboot my machine
around 10 times since (on a VIA box). It hanged badly a couple of time
with an error message related to : swap, trying to allocate more. Rolled
back to 2.4.9, works fine.

The intel box on 2.4.10 behaves fine, scary ...

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 19:21, Lars Christensen wrote:
> > You are using the Nvidia drivers aren't you. They seem to have timing
> > dependant screen mode switch problems. The timing has changed in 2.4.10

Stephane Dudzinski   Systems Administrator
a n t e f a c t o     t: +353 1 8586009
www.antefacto.com     f: +353 1 8586014

* Re: 2.4.10 hangs on console switch
@ 2001-10-04  4:48       ` Nathan
From: Nathan @ 2001-10-04  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:

>>>You are using the Nvidia drivers aren't you. They seem to have timing
>>>dependant screen mode switch problems. The timing has changed in 2.4.10
>>>
>>Not the nvidia supplied drivers. I am using the nvidia driver (nv)  that
>>comes with XFree86 4.1.0. I did not compile in kernel agpgart and driver
>>support.
>>

>I'm seeing  reports of this one always with nvidia cards and with both sets
>of Nvidia drivers - I guess they both do the same thing and have the same
>bug, or the user mode XFree bit is in both cases doing it.
>
>Right now thats all I can really point at as a pattern, I dont know why the
>problem should be there
>
>Alan
>-
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Don't have that problem here [least, haven't run into it yet].  I'm
currently running 2.4.10+RML's preempt and net entropy patches, system
is a VIA chipset Athlon 900Mhz with nVidia's proprietary drivers and a
GeForce2 GTS 64MB.  Help shed any light on the issue?

--Nathan