Russell King wrote: > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:00:21AM +0100, Kasper Dupont wrote: > > > > Why actually panic because of an attempt to kill init? > > > > Of course a message should be printed, but after that > > couldn't do_exit enter a loop where it just handles > > signals and zombies? > > Examine the LKML archive around 23rd December 2001, where Alan Cox wrote: > > | pid1 ends up trying to kill pid1 and it goes deeply down the toilet from > | that point onwards. The Unix traditional world reboots when pid 1 dies. Thank you for pointing that out. But I'm afraid it doesn't answer my question. I understand that a system where init has died cannot be expected to continue working like if nothing was wrong. What to do in this case might be a matter of taste, of course a panic or a reboot does make sense. But trying to recover as much as posible would also make sense. This could be caused by a problem in userspace, the kernel does not have to be corrupted already. If we agree that this is a matter of taste lets not try to argue about whose taste is the best. I was really just wondering if the patch below would work. Well I just tested it, and it did work like I expected. If I killed init (by replacing /sbin/init with something else and telling init to reexecute itself) I got the warning. But the system continued to work. Of course init would no longer respawn processes, and I could not change runlevel. But I could login, kill processes, and remount filesystems read-only. And no processes became zombies. -- Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid på usenet. For sending spam use mailto:razor-report@daimi.au.dk