From: Janek Neubert <janek.neubert@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Kernel Error with i845G
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:29:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

i have a bought an EPOX board (4G4A+) with Intel i845G chipset. While i was
trying a 2.4.18 kernel, the machine stops after "Ok, booting the kernel ...". I
have to use the lilo command mem=<memory without shared graphic ram>M in
megabytes. All kernels newer than 2.4.3 cause this error. Since version 2.4.19,
this solution is unusable. I think, this is a kernel problem, because i know
from other people having the same problem, but other boards with i845G. I need
the 2.4.19 to use my HPT372. Please help and finf the error.

I think the problem is a failure in the routine getting the size of memory from
BIOS. Linux thinks, i have 640k!!! RAM. Only the mem-parameter can solve it.

Thx

janek

p.s. please send a cc to my email, i haven't subscribed this list