* [BUG] problem with 2.5.x and X
@ 2002-10-01 13:38 Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2002-10-01 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

   I have been having some strange problems with X for a while in 2.5.x
(I started noticing them around 2.5.33 or 2.5.35 I believe) but I was
having other problems as well so I waited for those to go away in hope
that the problems with X would as well.  The other problems I was seeing
are gone with 2.5.39-bk from last night, but my problems with X are
still here.  Here they are:

1) Whether I have a frame buffer active or not I can not log into a gdm
session and then lof out without my machine completely locking up when
it gets back to the gdm screen, no sysrq, no nothing.

2) If a framebuffer is active I cannot even switch between VTs and my X
session using ctrl-alt-f<vt> without the same lockup as above happening.

I don't really know what is causing this since I though it might have
been the framebuffer/console stuff but not using the framebuffer only
fixes part of the problem not the whole thing so I now think that the
framebuffer code simply makes the problem more noticeable.

My machine is a dual cpu Athlon (Athlon MPs) with 1 GB and only scsi
drives.  It has smp, preempt, and highmem enabled in the config.  Please
let me know if you need more info to try and figure out what is going on.

Jordan Breeding

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-10-01 13:32 UTC | newest]