From: Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Subject: Re: Can one build 2.5.68 with allyesconfig?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:04:34 -0400	[thread overview]

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:49:03 EDT, Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com>  said:
>

>>Is anyone else able to build 2.5.68 with allyesconfig?
>>
>>I'm using RH7.2, so the first thing I did was edit the main Makefile to
>>replace gcc with "gcc3" (3.0.4).  Maybe the compiler is STILL my
>>

>1) I think the 3.0.4 compiler had some issues - 3.2.2 may be a better idea.

Great.  Why do I have a feeling that installing it will bork my
workstation?  Not to say that it can't be done but that I will probably
screw it up.  I'm sure that Red Hat (7.2) has some dependencies on there
being 2.96 installed.  Any suggestions on how I might deal with this
problem?

>2) allyesconfig is probably NOT able to build an actual kernel that will
>work - in particular, there are a number of pairs/sets of drivers that are
>mutually exclusive for a given device. And as you noticed, allyesconfig
>will try to build stuff that's known to be b0rken.

I'm not actually going to run the kernel.

>3) Even if it works, it will be a huge kernel with lots of stuff you almost
>certainly don't need (got an ISDN card? I didn't think so ;).  You would more
>likely want to customize the kernel for what you need, or at least consider
>using 'allmodconfig' so you can insmod the parts you need and skip the rest.

I'm trying to do an allyesconfig kernel so that I can get all printk
format strings.