* Strange behavior in out-of-memory situation
@ 2003-04-24 18:57 Timothy Miller
From: Timothy Miller @ 2003-04-24 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Red Hat kernel 2.4.18-26.7.x.

I ran a program which is trying to suck up all of memory.  I would like
to kill the process, but "top", "vmstat", and "ps" all hang when I try
to use them.  Also, pressing ctrl-c in the terminal where I can the
program won't kill it.

To an extent, however, the system was still usable, albeit EXTREMELY
unresponsive.  Eventually, the program dumped core, and everything
returned to norma.

Is this a known problem?