* 2.5.6x Sound frustration
@ 2003-04-25 21:43 Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-04-25 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

The 2.5.66 kernel loads the ALSA sound drivers for my Intel i8x0
on-board sound, but no sound files make any... well, *sound.*

Note that, other than sound, the machine is performing flawlessly.

I've enabled the ALSA drivers, with (and for one etst, without) OSS
emulation, integrated into the kernel (no modules).

I hear a pop while the OS is loading; the log states:

Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel: intel8x0: clocking to 41158
Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel: ALSA device list:
Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel:   #0: Intel 82801BA-ICH2 at 0xe800, irq 17

Yes, I'm using the latest ALSA tools.

Yes, I've used a mixer (several, actually) to make sure nothing is muted
and that all volumes are maximized.

Yes, I have the speakers turned on, plugged in, and connected to the
proper connector on the motherboard (an Intel D850EMV2). I've even tried
different speakers, jacks, and cables. The speakers work fine when
attached to a Wintel system, BTW.

I've tried running several different "sound" apps, along with directly
sending sounds to various devices -- and my reward is silence.

This is the first Linux system on which I've wanted the sound working...
I'm willing to admit I may be doing something stupid -- please be gentle! ;)

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd

* Re: 2.5.6x Sound frustration
@ 2003-04-26  3:46 ` David van Hoose
From: David van Hoose @ 2003-04-26  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> The 2.5.66 kernel loads the ALSA sound drivers for my Intel i8x0
> on-board sound, but no sound files make any... well, *sound.*
>
> Note that, other than sound, the machine is performing flawlessly.
>
> I've enabled the ALSA drivers, with (and for one etst, without) OSS
> emulation, integrated into the kernel (no modules).
>
> I hear a pop while the OS is loading; the log states:
>
> Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel: intel8x0: clocking to 41158
> Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel: ALSA device list:
> Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel:   #0: Intel 82801BA-ICH2 at 0xe800, irq 17
>
> Yes, I'm using the latest ALSA tools.
>
> Yes, I've used a mixer (several, actually) to make sure nothing is muted
> and that all volumes are maximized.
>
> Yes, I have the speakers turned on, plugged in, and connected to the
> proper connector on the motherboard (an Intel D850EMV2). I've even tried
> different speakers, jacks, and cables. The speakers work fine when
> attached to a Wintel system, BTW.
>
> I've tried running several different "sound" apps, along with directly
> sending sounds to various devices -- and my reward is silence.
>
> This is the first Linux system on which I've wanted the sound working...
> I'm willing to admit I may be doing something stupid -- please be
> gentle! ;)

Have you tried compiling the intel8x0 ALSA driver as a module? I never
could get mine to work from within the kernel, but I got it to work
perfectly as modules. Just remember to set the options and whatnot for
the snd and intel8x0 modules as stated in the ALSA documentation.
Just a thought.

-David

* Re: 2.5.6x Sound frustration
@ 2003-04-28 14:00 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-04-28 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:43:50 -0400,
Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> The 2.5.66 kernel loads the ALSA sound drivers for my Intel i8x0
> on-board sound, but no sound files make any... well, *sound.*
>
> Note that, other than sound, the machine is performing flawlessly.
>
> I've enabled the ALSA drivers, with (and for one etst, without) OSS
> emulation, integrated into the kernel (no modules).
>
> I hear a pop while the OS is loading; the log states:
>
> Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel: intel8x0: clocking to 41158
> Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel: ALSA device list:
> Apr 25 17:06:18 Tycho kernel:   #0: Intel 82801BA-ICH2 at 0xe800, irq 17
>
> Yes, I'm using the latest ALSA tools.
>
> Yes, I've used a mixer (several, actually) to make sure nothing is muted
> and that all volumes are maximized.
>
> Yes, I have the speakers turned on, plugged in, and connected to the
> proper connector on the motherboard (an Intel D850EMV2). I've even tried
> different speakers, jacks, and cables. The speakers work fine when
> attached to a Wintel system, BTW.
>
> I've tried running several different "sound" apps, along with directly
> sending sounds to various devices -- and my reward is silence.
>
> This is the first Linux system on which I've wanted the sound working...
> I'm willing to admit I may be doing something stupid -- please be gentle! ;)

the first check of all - really unmuted?
the alsa mixer has "mute" state, which is shown as 'M' at the top of
the volume bar on alsamixer.  you can toggle it via key 'M'.

if it's not the case, try to unmute and raise "Headphone" volume.
some devices use True LINEOUT as the wave lineout.
if this solves the problem, please let me know the output of
"lspci -vv" and "lspci -nv" (for the sound deice only).

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>		SuSE Linux AG - www.suse.de
ALSA Developer				ALSA Project - www.alsa-project.org

* Re: 2.5.6x Sound frustration
@ 2003-04-28 15:33   ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-04-28 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> if it's not the case, try to unmute and raise "Headphone" volume.
> some devices use True LINEOUT as the wave lineout.
> if this solves the problem, please let me know the output of
> "lspci -vv" and "lspci -nv" (for the sound deice only).

That didn't solve the problem, but here's the output anyway, in case
it's of any use to you.

The output from lspci -vv (rewrapped for clarity)

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio
(rev 04)
         Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4d44
         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
 >TAbort-                <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
         Latency: 0
         Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 17
         Region 0: I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
         Region 1: I/O ports at ef00 [size=64]

And lspci -nv

00:1f.5 Class 0401: 8086:2445 (rev 04)
         Subsystem: 8086:4d44
         I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
         I/O ports at ef00 [size=64]

The above was generated while running the 2.5.66 kernel. I've run
several different mixers, looking for any unusual "

This morning, I compiled 2.5.68; while I'm running Rusty's latest
modutils, I had many symbol errors when trying to compile sound support
as modules.  With sound compiled into the kernel, the ALSA driver
appeared to load, but none of the devices were created; when the boot
tried to restore mixer settings, for example, it reported that the mixer
could not be found.

Everything else on the system seems to work fine with both .66 and .68.

I have had sound working on this machine using Debian sid's stock 2.4.20
kernel.

--
Scott Robert Ladd

* Re: 2.5.6x Sound frustration
@ 2003-04-28 15:42   ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-04-28 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Takashi Iwai wrote:
 > if it's not the case, try to unmute and raise "Headphone" volume.
 > some devices use True LINEOUT as the wave lineout.

Apologies for a slightly misleading response a few minutes ago.

Raising the Headphone volume (with alsamixer) *did* solve my problem --
but only *after* I rebooted the system. I now have sound.

The previous e-mail contains the system information your requested.

Thanks.

--
Scott Robert Ladd
Professional programming for science and engineering;